02 February 2009

Movie Titles

So ... my brother, his wife and two other couples are coming to my house to spend the night on Saturday prior to embarking on a cruise Sunday. They did not want to chance someones flight being delayed on Sunday and Jeff and Penny had not seen our house so asked if they could crash at our house - which of course I said 'yes'.

And as I am wont to do when people are coming to stay at my house - I make a list of unbelievably stupid things to do before they come. Mainly because if I can't do it when someone is coming to the house, basically it will never get done. On my list and one that I needed to get out of the way was to get all my DVDs sorted and put away. I said in one of my blogs 'list of stuff about me' that I had them all stored in drawers - in order, and an excel spreadsheet listing them all. But the spreadsheet did not include the last 6 months of purchases, which were just lying about and bothering me that they did not have an assigned spot. Not wanting to be called a liar, and wanting to merge the children's DVDs and the regular DVDs (because - seriously - where would you put Elf? Or Harry Potter? Or Cars? These things really do keep me up nights) I took all the DVDs out of the drawers and placed them in piles: A to Z.

A - I was interesting: A, B & C wining in the most titles (on that side of the room), G and H coming in close: But the J - Z pile? What is up with 'S'? And 'M'? Is is our preference? Do we naturally gravitate to movies that start with these letters, or is it a trend in the movie industry?

Actually I could care less ... just needed a break and an excuse to sit in front of the computer since I was going into surfing withdrawls.

Back to 'work' ...

9 comments:

Liz said...

I have all my DVD's in a big leather case, one for adults and one for kids movies. Where the hell does Elf go? This dilemma has kept my OCD mind reeling for months.

Laura said...

I have all of my DVD's sorted alphabetically by genre. So I have Christmas, Disney, action/adventure, chick flick, musicals, animated (but not Disney), Church, and children's all divided separately. Then within each genre the movies are alphabetized. That's pretty OCD, I would say. Sadly, I don't have room on my DVD shelves for my TV series, so they are just shoved in a cabinet underneath my TV. That bothers me, but I don't know what to do about it - I don't have room for another DVD shelf.

Lori Hurst said...

You know, here I was thinking I was was a bit OCD'ish when in reality I seem to be somewhat normal when it comes to DVD storage! The things you can learn having a blog!

Jennifer said...

I wouldn't care if there were ANY order to the movies as long as I could access their location on a spreadsheet. Example:
"Buffy the Vampire Slayer" - under left side of my bed.
"She's the Man" - kitchen cabinet over the fridge.

Woe on whoever neglects to restore the movie to that location, though.

kimberly said...

Ironically, my DVDs are only sort of categorized. They aren't alphabetical, but I do tend to keep genres together. Mostly.

Maybe it's a librarian thing? Too much order at work, so I am a bit more lax at home?

My books are the same way. Grouped by type, but not alphabetized.

Carol Beck said...

wanna come do mine when you're done? i really would like to get some prints of your flower pics! i love them!!!!

Cherri said...

I have to admit to no order at all. I must be especially good at living with chaos, because that is the state of my desk at work and home both. I'm not even sure which DVD's I actually own any more, because I gift them sometimes for birthdays and Christmas, and kind of think of them as mine, and then the darn kids grow up and move out and take their movies with them, so I am left with serious holes - and then there are the favorites that just kinda disappear because they are favorites! Ashley has an entire bookshelf of DVD's at her apartment, and I don't really anticipate ever getting any of them back unless I steal them!

Lori Hurst said...

Kimberly mentioned library: I was just thinking - I don't care about my books (I mean - I CARE about them) - I have gobs of books spilling out of every nook and cranny and don't feel the need to catalog them. I guess it is because I know my books better than I know my DVDs - I have no idea what Gary and Ryan have bought. I have to say that is why I made the spreadsheet - we accidentally bought a DVD we already had. So now, before we go to purchase any, we just check out the spreadsheet. Saved us lots of duplicates!

Lori Hurst said...

Carol - which ones? I will be happy to make you a copy.