12 February 2009

A Good Day ...

Well, this post will be a little spacey since I can tell my electrolytes are off a bit from throwing up so much. I stayed in bed until I had to go to the church to set up at 1:30. There was an Area Conference for the Missionaries that morning but they said that they would be gone by 1:00 so we were good.

As we sat there at 1:45 as they ate lunch. We decided it would be tacky to go up to the General Authority: Brother Craig Christensen and his wife and tell them to get out, the building is ours now. So we sat, and we sat and we talked.

When they were done, they helped us clean up their mess and set up for tonight. There was one lady that stayed and was so kind and helpful and could tell that I was very ill. I sat down to rest because I was so shaky and dizzy. Susan was speaking to her, when I realized that she was Sister Christensen. She was talking about going to High School with Sister Julie Beck.

Then she looked at me and started talking about service and having heavy loads and saying very kind words that warmed my heart and made me feel so good. She then said she would like to tell us a story if that was OK. We said yes.

She told us that her Aunt 4 generations back wrote the words to 'Sisters in Zion'. She told us her entire life story - her and her sister coming over from England and heading to Utah with the Willie Handcart Company. They helped a mother of 4 little ones whose husband had died along the way make it to the Salt Lake Valley. She then wrote the poem. It was later made into the song. Tears were streaming down my face as I realized that my problems, the things weighing down my shoulders right now were so piddling it was a joke. It was nothing.

She smiled and said she would tell Sister Beck 'hi' for us and that we were doing a great job serving the Sisters in the ward. She was such a beautiful woman, with poise and confidence and a spirit of service and compassion. It was a wonderful afternoon to just spend some time with someone who was so complementary and kind and full of the spirit of love and service.

As we set up tables, and chairs and displays things just didn't really seem all that troublesome any more.

And I realized something - If Sisters come tonight, Sisters come. If they don't - that is not my problem. I have done my job and I think we did a great job. That is all I need to worry about - the rest - well, it is out of my hands and I am just not going to worry about it.




As Sisters in Zion we'll all work together;
The blessings of God on our labors we'll seek.
We'll build up His kingdom with earnest endeavor;
We'll comfort the weary and strengthen the weak

The errand of angels is given to women;
And this is a gift that, as sisters we claim;
To do whatsoever is gentle and human,
To cheer and to bless in humanity's name.

How vast is our purpose, how broad is our mission,
If we but fufill it in spirit and deed.
Oh, naught but the Spirit's divinest tuition
Can give us the wisdom to truly suceed.

7 comments:

Laura said...

I could have sworn I posted a comment earlier, but either it has disappeared, or I am going crazy!

Anyway, I'm glad you got to talk with Sister Christensen. It sounds like a very uplifting conversation.

And, I'm sure Enrichment was great. I'm still bummed I wasn't there :(

Lori Hurst said...

I got you a folder with all the handouts if that is any consolation! I was too tired to even just leave it on your porch though on the way home. I will pop over tomorrow.

Andrea Dent said...

Lori, Enrichment was fantastic! THANK YOU! I'm so glad you had an uplifting afternoon while setting up too! Thanks for sharing it!

Laura said...

Thank you for remembering to get me handouts! Hurrah!!

Jennifer said...

Well, Lori, I couldn't have guessed the kind of day you had, either, when I saw you tonight at Enrichment. I had a really fun time; thank you for inviting me to participate!

And I was wearing underwear.

Lori Hurst said...

Thanks, Jen for the undies comment - I was a bit worried after reading your blog!

Court said...

Lori, I never would have guessed you had been barfing all day by your radiant glow at Enrichment...it's your lip gloss every time!! It was a lovely evening and I laughed my tail off at the skit. We've got some talent in this ward!