04 November 2010

"When There's No One Around ..."


"It's four in the morning
Im lyin' in bed
A tape of my failures
Playin' inside my head"

I has literally been YEARS and YEARS since I listened to Country Western music, but there was a period where I did ...

.... and I can't get Garth Brooks song out of my head today.

Why? Well, because I WAS lying awake at four in the morning ... and lying awake, for me, ALWAYS involves tapes of failures and such stuff ...

... and just the words "When there's no one around"

I have had a lot of alone time this past two years and have discovered what I do "When there's no one around" ...

I don't have a special song, or a special dance (OK, I have that 'I slept through the night' dance - but it doesn't count - I've used it twice).

I do: nothing.

Nada.

Zip.

I goof off, play on the computer, take photos, edit photos, tag photos and do nothing of any worth whatsoever.

Impressed?

I know!

I am SO lazy!

Today - I started out fine - got the laundry started, some suitcases put away, a box of office supplies emptied. Then I went in my closet - lifted one of my boxes of bags back into place and ... well ...

... I was done for the day.

It is not helping that my doctor has put me on something that helps with the pain, but makes me feel ... funky. So I spent the rest of the day - hours upon hours ...

... filling my new jewelry tree:

It was exhausting ...

2 comments:

Cherri said...

Even your jewelry tree is way too decorative!

Vicki said...

You are so amazing! You have so many talents and such a wit. I love you. You have been dealt a tough hand and are playing it well. I don't think this life is about what we accomplish as much as it is about who we become. You are Gary and TOPS in my book. I admire you both enormously.

Why do you think we play back our failures? Why don't we naturally think of all the great things we have accomplished and all the people who love us? Yet, if we can't see our flaws, how will we improve? Perhaps being critical of ourselves is a blessing in disguise (though I admit it isn't my favorite blessing).