25 November 2010

Thanksgiving Day Drama ...


Our favourite type of turkey - be it baked, fried or smoked - is smoked. Gary was hoping for lots of leftovers when he was shopping for a bird and went with a 20 pounder - a wee bit bigger than we have used in the smoker before.

Calculated the time to the MINUTE on when that baby would be done, got up early, heated up the smoker to 350 degrees and plopped the turkey in:

We noticed that with that much mass, the smoker could not get above 300 degrees and wondered about our schedule ...

Getting close to The Time - and the pop up ... thingy ... isn't popping up:

Table is set:

Guests are waiting ...


But it still was not the allocated time: 12:30. We googled cooking turkeys and I found that the size we had at 325 degrees would be done in 3 1/2 to 4 hours ... so we decided we were doing good and wouldn't kill anyone with botulism ... (we were smoking it for 5 hours)

Put the rolls in, finished mashing the potatoes, went out to get the turkey ... and IT HAD POPPED! No food related deaths in the Hurst household this year!


Carved it up and had a relatively decent (albeit loud) meal.
Jessie got to watch some of a show with Ryan and Allessandra (Ryan's girlfriend) and some of a show with Dad - Mom was in bed - awaiting the NEXT ROUND at a friends home.

Jessie decided to pull the Exorcist stunt on us again - solidifying another trip to a restaurant on Sunday and not home - but with a promise to visit my friends house - stopped all the water works and pleading to stay and jumped right into the truck. By this time I was going to lose my first dinner (sort of like the Hobbits - second dinner was coming up at 4:00) out of sheer guilt and stress of Jessie pleading - AND SHE CAN TURN IT OFF IN A HEARTBEAT - apparently I cannot.

Gary took Jessie back and Ryan, Allessandra and I piled into Ryan's truck for our Second Dinner. It was wonderful and much better than my lowly meal (my friend is a phenomenal cook). An hour into that meal - Ryan and Allessandra left (we were done) and headed to their THIRD DINNER - this being voluntary on their part! I hope they survived.

I am home now and the drama has seemed to die down, my stomach might just survive the abuse - and off to bed early ...



... for Black Friday? Hell, no! You know me - I abhor shopping - Black Friday, for me is a day to lock my doors, hunker down and stay inside all day ...



Heres hoping your day was great!

1 comment:

Vicki said...

Wow! I wonder what is up with Jessie. She obviously is pushing your buttons - but why? It is hard to believe she is mad at you for not being with her - not after all these months. Maybe its as simple as she can't get away with it in her daily life - so she takes advantage when she can.

If Jessie does this with you but not at her facility, it sounds like you visit her there.

You take care of yourself!