02 November 2010

Security Woes

I forgot ... thunderstorms, rain, any sort of moisture I suppose sets off the alarm system in our house. Not that blaring - "YOU'VE BEEN BREACHED!" siren - just the three little beeps that say a door or window was just opened.

My security system likes to dick with me. Gary tells me that is a bad word: 'dick' - but that is EXACTLY what it is doing to me - so I am using it. (It is not exactly in the top five of 'Bad Words Lori Uses' ... but .... there you go ...) Usually when he is out of town - at 3:00am it beeps softly three times. I am IMMEDIATELY awake and alert to hear for the sound of a door softly shutting .... being the last thing I hear before I am killed in my bed ...

... but nothing happens. Ever. My adrenaline is pumping, sleep is just a memory, and I am generally getting angry ... three more soft beeps and my alarm system is back to 'secure'. Sort of my system quietly chuckling and saying 'Gotcha!'.

I am not amused.

Three am rolls around this morning. There is a thunderstorm raging, so what ever window that has the short in it decides it needs to squawk about it.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

I am awake, heart pounding. Gary is softly snorfling beside me.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

OK, now to try to calm down and go back to sleep. I snuggle under my dyne. Amazed that Gary can sleep through the ruckus - the alarm is RIGHT IN OUR BEDROOM!

Beep. Beep. Beep.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

Gary is still sleeping like a baby. I roll onto my back and sigh heavily. Things are quiet for a time, I get a bit drowsy ...

Beep. Beep. Beep.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

"FINE!" I scream in my head ... "I AM UP! ARE YOU HAPPY NOW?" as I get out of bed.

I decide that maybe, if I read the manual, I can figure out how to turn the system off and, well, that sleep thing isn't going to be happening any time soon ...

15 minutes and 9 beeps later I have found the manual. Hmmmmm no mention on how to turn it OFF off. How to turn it off as in deactivating it once you walk in the house before the sirens and police show up - yes, but totally off? No way.

Damn.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

Oh! Lookie here - I can BYPASS a security zone! MAYBE that means I can turn that zone off and it won't beep every time the sensor tells it to. I go to my alarm - I am in luck - the zone is in the 'AHHHH - I'M OPEN! SOMEONE HAS OPENED ME!' position - so it is lit. If not I would have had to wait for the next set of beeps - and who knows when that would have been ... thus why this little 'situation' is so much fun - the TOTAL RANDOMNESS of it all ....

I enter the code for the naughty zone and cross my fingers.

Now to wait - see if it goes from red to green without the:

Beep. Beep. Beep.

So, I start this blog ... cause I know y'all care ...

A car alarm has gone off three (ok, now four as I reread this) times since I started typing - sleep probably isn't coming even if I have 'fixed' (kludged) the system. Go to take a photo of the offending contraption ... and what do you know:


The zone went to 'good' without any:

Beep. Beep. Beep.

One problem down ...


... a few car alarms to go .... and a call to the security company in the morning.





Sleep, my elusive friend ...





... come find me!

2 comments:

Cherri said...

Since you can obviously read a manual, you qualify to become a security system techie - you probably know more now than most trained techs around!

Vicki said...

Makes me glad I don't have a security system. I don't need one more thing to keep me awake.

So funny! You make me laugh.