21 November 2010

Blue Moon


This morning, lying in bed, stunned that it was 6:17 and I HAD SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT ... I did what I normally do and picked up my iTouch, clicked on CNN and started perusing the news of the day. I noticed there was an article about tonights moon being a 'blue moon'. It tried hard to explain why - using some weird Farmers Almanac verbiage and I decided to take their word for it and didn't finish the article.

I had noticed the moon shining outside my window in front of my desk the night before - with puffy clouds lazily floating past. It was incredibly beautiful and peaceful. So - I was in a Moon Vibe today.

We picked up Jessie after church, and since we are chickens and still traumatized from last Sunday - decided not to bring her home, but to take her out to dinner instead. In the back of my mind I was thinking this was a really, really bad idea - yeah - lets have her behaviours from last Sunday - but IN PUBLIC. This could either go smoothly ... or a swat team would have to be called in. I was a wee bit tense ...

Gary was confident that she would not do that because she likes eating out so much - so off we went. She was a perfect - albeit rather loud - angel. And as Gary said driving home: "A bloodless meal" ... oh, so very cool in the Hurst Household ...

And the moon was out. I told Gary that it was a blue moon and couldn't explain why it was. It looked beautiful shining on our lake, so I went to take photos. Came back and Wiki'ed it. A blue moon is simply the third full moon in a season with four full moons. It was that it was the THIRD one and not the last one that was throwing me off ...

And for your information - we are having our blue moon tonight ... then the next one will occur:

21 August 2013

the one after that?

21 May 2016

So when they say once in a blue moon - they really, really mean not very often!
And, in a quirk of my large Canon - I was totally creeped out when I pulled my photos off my camera and found this:

Dudes, seriously - I DIDN'T PHOTOSHOP THIS. AND IT IS BLUE - HOW COOL IT THAT!?! I find it very generous of my camera to have a 'halo blue moon' appended to a couple of my photos. It was really getting into the spirit of the night.



I am sort of wondering how it happened ...

1 comment:

Val and Marceil said...

Great shot of the moon over the lake. Suitable for framing. Dad