19 November 2010

How Long is Long Enough?


I know, I know - you SO DON'T CARE about whether I sleep or not. Or you do ... and that is so sweet! I should change the name of my blog to "Lori's Sleep Blog" or "Lori's Lack of Sleep Blog". But it is my blog and so I can write what I want ...

I really do have a question. How long is long enough - just laying in bed waiting for sleep to come? My only example is Gary and the nights he has trouble sleeping - it is usually for about 1/2 hour. Seems reasonable. It can take me 1 - 2 hours - usually - to fall asleep. Not pretty, but I try not to get all worked up about it and tell myself that I am at least getting rest if not sleep - and I eventually drift off. I am thinking this is a bit unusual ... So ... what is the norm? When do you actually say 'the hell with this' and just get up already? Do something productive? Get out of that horrific situation of just LAYING THERE ... staring at nothing in the dark - or watching the red light blink on the smoke detector a thousand times ... or naming all the states in the US in alphabetical order - 10, 20 times, just to be sure you have it down? When do I get to say - it is OK to get up? I so feel like a 5 year old who's parents have sent them to bed ... early ...

I have been so screwed up since Sunday night I don't know what it is going to take to reset my system. I am hoping a system sleep reboot does not involve a serious illness, hospitalization, you know - the usual for me - I HAVE A CRUISE IN TWO WEEKS! I was in the ER twice last year - nada so far for this year and I am hoping to make it through ER free - I am on some medical insurance 'watch list' and it is annoying ...

I went to bed at about 10:30 - and laid there until 3:00. And I TRIED. I REALLY, REALLY TRIED. I seriously don't know what it is going to take for me to get some sleep. That ship has so sailed for tonight ... *sigh*



***********************
NEW TOPIC!!!!
***********************

Telephone conversation yesterday afternoon with Gary:

Lori: I need to ask you a favor.

Gary: OK

Lori: Will you help me put up the Christmas tree on Saturday after Thanksgiving?

Gary:

Lori: Are you there?

Gary: Where is my wife and what have you done with her?

Lori: Seriously

Gary: Me too - WHERE IS SHE?

Lori: I just told myself that I needed to decorate for Christmas this year and I might as well get started ...

Gary: Could you just call her to the phone, you know, to reassure me that she is still around ...

Lori: I'm not talking to you anymore

Gary: Good ... go get LORI ... let me talk to her ...

Lori: Bye

Gary: Seriously ...

We'll see how long we can keep this up ...

No comments: