19 July 2010

View and More PNG


Been hanging around the apartment since Sunday when we arrived home from visiting the birds at O'Reily's. Not feeling very good - so Monday - just read a book and did the laundry. It is now Tuesday morning and things don't seem to be shaping up for a 'day on the town' for me. Will probably FOLD the laundry, read another book and rest up so that I am in good shape for Tasmania.

We fly out very early on Saturday and come back on Tuesday so I have a few days yet to get feeling better. Rest, rest, rest. It is such a bore ...

So - since I have been spending so much time in the apartment, and since the view does not change from our window - I have taken my fair share of panoramas of Story Bridge and Downtown. Gary laughed at me this morning taking even MORE shots. It is sort of ridiculous - but soon, all I will have is the photos - so why not?

I noticed this morning stitching together a panorama - that I have come a long way in Photoshop since I first began. I now can generally shoot straight enough to get a decent stitch to start with and empty spaces? Not much of a problem now that I just use 'content aware' to fill it in. It makes it up - but generally makes up a pretty decent chunk of photo - so my panoramas are much wider now - being able to keep the tops and bottoms where I used to have to shave them off because of offending white space ...

Also - been playing with the view and my new found discovered tools. So my view is not ALWAYS the exact same:


And since I don't have anything 'real' to post today, and since Gary will never write this stuff down, and since Gary asked me why I didn't post about it ...

... thought I would take care of that now.

Papua New Guinea ... a strange place. Gary has been told they are very fond of their pigs. Being the only domesticated animal he has seen so far - maybe it is that. They do eat them, just ... they are family members before they are dinner. They live in the houses (sometimes) and are treated much like children.

Here Gary took photos of a woman 'babysitting' her pigs. He thought there were children in the photos also, but no ... just pigs:

Sorry, didn't find a shot of a cute adorable baby pig - just an adorable baby pigs butt:


When they are not living in the houses - they have their own huts that look just as nice as the huts the people live in:

And speaking of huts. Gary took a bunch of photos of the building materials and the huts themselves and wondered why I didn't post any of it. Mainly for space - so here goes:

Here a man is showing them how they make rope and lashing material out of a plant. Everything in their huts are made from materials found in the jungle:


Here is the grass used for the roofs:


And, as we have seen before, the walls (that I want to take home and make into a mat in my house):


They were in an area that was making some huts - thus the building material just laying about - it does not grow that way ...



And an interesting side note that the gentleman giving them the tour told them. This plant (don't know the name) the red one - we see it all over Australia - so not rare or anything - is used as 'virtual fencing'. People plant this on their boundary line to mark their property. Cool concept - probably doesn't keep out the machete wielding burglars:

And a few more huts: here one is by side one that is yet to have its roof finished:





Gary will be headed back there a few more times. I am sure I will have more photos to share then ...

No comments: