24 July 2010

Hobart, Tasmania


As we sat in the plane in Melbourne, I looked at the sky and it didn't bode well for a non-bumpy ascent:

But what a beautiful view we had once we were through the clouds:

I was confused when the captain came on and said we were starting our descent into Hobart - we were still over water. Hobart is on the southern tip of Tasmania - as far away from Melbourne as you can get ... where was the land? I saw it come into view as we were descending ... apparently we descended the entire length of the island - must not be as big as I thought it was:

Landing in Hobart and the skies did not bode well for viewing the large Mt. Wellington the city is nestled at the base. We have yet to see it ...

And I believe this is the FIRST time that I have landed at an airport where the planes were bigger than the airport terminal:


Took a walk along the historical district ... and it being Saturday - ran into their weekly Saturday market. We bought a few things and then headed to Battery Point - deep in the historical district.

What we found was quaintness on all sides! Quaint houses, quaint streets - and Hobart isn't supposed to be quaint - it is our jumping off point for quaint ... so we will have to see.

I couldn't stop taking photos of old houses - mostly converted to some form of business or other - but without garish signs to ruin the quaintness:













My back started hurting on the way back - like I had pulled it. By the time we were back - I was in pretty bad shape. Almost like I had thrown my back out - but still hobbling rather than resorting to crawling on the floor like last time I threw out my back. Luckily - they sell medication with codeine in it over the counter here and I had some. Took 4 and went to bed. Woke up a couple hours later and things were much better - the spasms seemed to have stopped - so vacation not in jeopardy ...


... I hope ...

2 comments:

Vicki said...

I love the comment of the airplanes being bigger than the terminal.

Hope your back continues to recover!

Anonymous said...

Lori, It's sad to hear about the Tasmanian Devils plight, I had no idea they were in that degree of decline. I know I'm tailing in my postal comments but been pretty busy these last few days. Really like the pictures of the brick structures, it's in the blood. Later.AJ