25 July 2010

Freycinet National Park


"If you only have time to visit one place in Tasmania, make sure it's Freycient National Park." This is a direct quote from my Frommers Australia 2009 book. So on our way to Port Aurthur this morning ... where EVERYBODY goes who stays in Hobart, we decided to make the 3 and 1/2 hour trek to the park. It boasted all sorts of wildlife - including dolphins and whales - whats not to like?

We were up early since we had gone to bed early so that was not a problem. The 'getting there' was beautiful (maybe more beautiful than the park itself).

Our view from our hotel window at sunrise:


There was frost on the ground and a bit of low lying fog to make the landscape beautiful:
Found a pond COVERED in black swans. I remember reading that they are riddled with them here - but beautiful, no?

Sunrise made for some beautiful light in which to take photos:



Part of the time we were along the coast, part of the time we drove inland over a mountain range:



Got to Freycinet and spotted one solitary dolphin (yeah - just a grey blob - he refused to do anything spectacular for me):

Beautiful scenery

And off to Wineglass bay - the gem of Freycinet Park. This little critter was just sitting dejectedly by the sidewalk for all to take photos. Unfortunately the tourist feed them and they become 'pests' - I don't know what his problem was - he needed some Prozac or something. Sadly I can say that we saw about 20 wallaby's - but this was the only live one - the rest were dead on the side of the road. It was not a pretty site.


So ... the hike up to take the spectacular photos of Wineglass Bay was, well - a hike. I was not feeling well and my back was still hurting on steps. I started out with Gary but knew that I was not going to make it. Damn! Damn! Damn! I asked him for the keys, started crying and turned around and walked back to the car. What a site I must have been. Curse my body ...

These beautiful shots are Gary's:


Then on to the low lands to take photos towards Freycinet National Park and its pink granite mountains:

Got lucky when Gary's phone started ringing, causing him to turn a corner and get off the main road to answer it. A few houses down there were about 20 birds pecking at someones lawn - so I went to investigate. Pretty ... don't know what it is, but pretty ...

Continuing on back to Hobart we discovered that the Tasmanians know how to end a day with a bang - a big, beautiful bang ...



Well, off to Port Arthur and hopefully Richmond tomorrow. Hopefully I won't have any more meltdowns and will smile more the the one time that I did today ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lori. the black swans bring back memories; on our Honeymoon, many years ago, my wife and I stayed one night at The Broadmoor Hotel in Colorado Springs. It was late December, we had just escaped the blizzard of the century up in Denver, and I recall seeing these elegant creatures drifting by as my new bride and I walked together the following morning, holding hands and making plans for our future.

The next day we drove to Phoenix Arizona, and spent 6 day in my sisters trailer.
Ahh the carefree whims of young love. Later AJ

Cherri said...

What beautiful sunsets you captured on film. Thanks for sharing your adventures!