17 July 2010

In Search of Birds and Roos


Got up at 4:45 to get on the road to one of our favourite places: O'Reilly's. We take a off road track on the way up in hopes of spotting roos - and with my parents - saw 5, with Ryan - saw more than we could count. So, being my last time here and wanting to see a kanga in the wild just one more time - we got up and were on the road by 5:30.

Since it is winter - it was darker than we have had in the past and decided we were going to hit our roo spotting sites at just the right time: dawn. I was super excited!

Saw some beautiful scenery on the way - there was fog in the low spots which made for even more beautiful scenery.



Past all our roo spotting areas with me seeing one - waaaay out in a field - too far to photograph and nothing else. I was disappointed and we were sort of wondering where all the roos were?

Started climbing the 4 wheel drive track and knew we were out of roo territory. We have seen smaller, brown kangaroos in the mountains, but they scare easily and generally hop off before we get a shot off.

Took photos of the scenery as we climbed:
Saw a couple of hopping, small things and Gary said it counted - our trip was not entirely roo-less - but I was hoping for hoards and flocks of roo. No go.

Arrived at O'Reilly's and decided to concentrate on the birds. Went in to get a bite to eat - and Gary spotted a ... wallaby. In wikipedia it says the name is used for anything in the macropod family (includes kangaroos) that is smaller than a kangaroo - thus this fit. It was tiny - but I did get photographs of it!

Birds are everywhere in the rainforest of O'Reilly's - and sounds divine - this little guy held still enough for me to take his photo:

But we had come (with unsalted sunflower seeds in hand) to find these guys:


The above is just a photo from the day - but a cute photo with an ugly background - thus - I took the background out.

And the fun began:

I had one bird that was VERY interested in my cameras:



I think he wanted his picture taken!

But ... oh, the shots I got of Gary with the birds! I had a blast!

Gary conversing with a friend:
Gary getting a head massage:

Secrets being told ....


Gary's: "Look, I have a bird on my head" look:


Gary telling the fighting birds to 'play nice':


"Birdies - look at the camera!"


"OK, now look at Gary!"


Pretty bird in the hand ...


A new friend that decided to take a walk with us:


We were thinking of heading to the Byron Bay lighthouse - but I was a bit queasy from being lurched about on the 4 wheel road - then winding down the mountain - I got so sick - all I wanted was to go home.

So back in the apartment early. Gary is napping - and I am off to do the same. Too much lurching about for the last two days! The next few days should be casual - then off to Tasmania!

4 comments:

Vicki said...

Gary's facial expressions are hilarious!

Cherri said...

Were there any bird droppings to hear about? I am not sure I would trust a bird that was so friendly!

Laura said...

Great pictures of the birds! I was also wondering about bird droppings...

I hope you get some pictures of Tasmanian Devils!

Lori Hurst said...

Oddly, with that many birds - no droppings to blog about ...

Laura - I will have to google Tasmanian Devil or I just might not be prepared if I run across one - have no idea what they are ... beyond the Looney Tunes dude ...