05 July 2010

Dear Jessie ...

Happy Birthday Miss Jess! You turned 22 today!

Wow! Twenty-two. That's a big number. It reminds me that my age must be a really, really, really big number!
I hope you had fun today - at your birthday party at our very, very special friends home: the Randalls:
Good food, good friends:
You blew out all the candles!
And the presents! Oh, how you like to open presents!


Then off to play with your new bounty with friends:
What a wonderful time! And what wonderful friends. Even Ryan stopped by for a surprise visit! Wasn't that nice?

Miss Jess - where do I begin on this twenty second year of your birth? It seemed like only yesterday that I was so immobilized with fear that I didn't know how to survive. So many things to be afraid of, a future full of unknowns - fearful unknowns. But survive we did, didn't we? Together as a family. Maybe a little crazy, a little unconventional, a little just 'getting by' some days - but we did it!

And now you are a grown, beautiful young woman. Very different than the girl that I dropped off at Richmond Assisted Living Center (note the name change) on that horrible, dreadful day two years ago. You are just a shell of yourself! In a good way - you are healthy, happy, have friends, are acting more mature and listening to your house advisers. I am SO very proud of you!

Of course, sometimes my heart breaks when I realize that this beautiful grown woman standing in front of me will probably never function over the age of 3 or 4 years old. But I love my little girl too! I love the little girl as much as the young woman she has grown into. Just more to love, I guess, isn't there?

Here's to another year of fun, growing (well, you - yourself will probably keep shrinking - you know what I mean), learning new things, making new friends, having fun at your home visits and everything else you have experienced in your new home.

I love you, miss you, see you soon.
Love,

Mom

3 comments:

Jeff said...

Happy Birthday Jess!!!! We love you so much... Love

Uncle Jeff and Aunt Penny

Vicki said...

Thanks for the pictures. I haven't seen Jessie in far too long. She looks absolutely awesome!

I love this thought by Hugh B. Brown as it applies to Jessie: Some come into this world seriously handicapped and, it would appear, scarcely able to cope with life’s vicissitudes. But let us remember that when we handicap a competitor in any event by giving others an advantage, we acknowledge his superiority. Nature’s handicaps are often compliments. Struggle and strength travel together.

Cherri said...

Jess, you look wonderful. So healthy and strong. I am happy that you had a great birthday, and wish I was there to eat cake with you. It looked like a fun time was had by all. Love you, Aunt Cherri