21 July 2010

Three AM


Three AM.

Can't sleep ...

It is winter here. A mild winter, but winter none the less.
I have my balcony door open. I lay in bed and listen to the early morning sound of the city.
The cars. A horn. A siren.
I smile.
A year ago I could not keep the door open because the sounds of the city and the light of the dock kept me awake.
Now - the cacophony of the city and the light of the dock lull me to sleep.
It is the sound of Brisbane, and the glow of Brisbane.
It is familiar, peaceful and comforting.
I will miss it.

Three AM.

I get up - go out on the balcony to stare at the beautiful view.
I look at downtown first - its lights and colors always consistent and beautiful:

I turn my head to look at Story Bridge.
Cars, trucks, ambulances passing over.
A city still active and awake at 3:00am. It makes my insomnia feel less isolated and more like I am just one of the many awake at this hour:



Three AM.

I wander into the office. Look out the window at the other two high rise apartment buildings. Most are asleep - the flash of the TV's the glow of the computers are off. A light here and there - but mostly locked down for the night.

I realize that I am at the halfway point of my last visit here to Brisbane.
Eight days down - eight days to go.
I'm not ready for this to be over.
But my body is - so I'll be done.
Soon ... too soon.

I have spent my days relaxing, enjoying good books, enjoying the bliss of quiet in the apartment and the view ... always the view.
Today (yesterday) I studied up on Hobart, Tasmania, Australia.
I am an expert on 'All Things Hobart' now and realize that 2 and 1/2 days is not nearly enough time to fit everything in.
Tomorrow (today) I must pick and choose - what a hard thing to do.

Three AM.


I realize that it is noon over in the States.
Most my acquaintances, my friends, and my children are only a ways into the day that I completed hours ago.
This has stopped feeling weird, and is normal now.
I get on the computer - surf - write a quick, silly post, and wonder how the day is there at my other home.
Is it raining? Did the lawn crew cut the lawn? Is Ryan getting along?

I tell myself 'soon enough'.
Soon Enough - I will be home - with no trip back to this beautiful country looming on the horizon.
It has been over a year since that has been the case.
I wonder how empty it will make me feel.
The chance that I may never see this place again ...
I decide to not think of that now.
I am here.
I will enjoy being here.
Now.
For eight more days ...

Three AM

I have a 'big' day ahead of me.
Hobart - finish the itinerary.
Finish my book and start a new one - per each day this week (it is a requirement).
Take a short walk - without my cameras - to just soak in the day, and the time and the place ...

So many things to do ...
So I am off to bed ...


Again ...

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

What have you been reading?

Cherri said...

Enjoy - and send out a reading list of the good ones!

Lori Hurst said...

I have been reading a series - trash really, but keeps my mind occupied and doesnt bother me. It is an British author: Elizabeth George. She has a mismatched set of New Scottland Yard dectectives. She is sometimes infuriating, sometimes I want to quit and sometimes she is rather crude - but I started with her first book she wrote in the 80's and am determined to finish the more than dozen ...