14 May 2010

Stupid Tulips ...


Well, my tulips are toast. Lovely little potted plant - they bloomed then proceeded to commit suicide in short order. I would have posted a photo of them all 'petal-less' after they decided to just unceremoniously dump all their petals for no apparent reason other than they hated me ... but I was too disgusted with them ... so no photo....

Back to my good old stand by ... lilies:


It is Saturday morning here - Gary is off for a bike ride then we are headed out ... to Moolooba probably ... a beach. I'm jonesing for some good photos - I am hoping I find something to take pictures off ....

... cause today - I am, well... off. Woke up, got on my computer and discovered that someone I knew - or more correctly knew his wonderful stepsons and wife - died in a tragic accident on Friday. I am sad - and feel helpless. Called my son since one of the stepsons was his friend - and made my son sad - not my favourite thing to do ...

And then went to look up whale watching in Brisbane since Gary and I discussed doing that. SO COOL!!! Guaranteed you would see whales, in addition there would be dolphins, turtles and so many other things!!! SIGN ME UP!!! Gary would have to adapt ... we were going WHALE WATCHING!!!! Until I saw that they stared in the middle of June ... damn ....

Nothing is going right. I am sad that the shuttle Atlantis is on it's last mission. I feel a part of the Shuttle Program - having worked at the company that blew up the Challenger, when it blew up the Challenger and all ... oh, and working Shuttle Redesign ... I am sad to see an end come to those beautiful behemoths. I loved watching them lift off and escape the grasp of the earths gravity ... something about it that makes me happy ... And I am probably never going to be able to watch one take off in person ...

S0 - I am grumpy and sad. The weather here in Brisbane is perfect - so the day will be, well, perfect. Let's hope I find a two headed kangaroo with a baby koala in its pouch being chased by an emu ... getting good photos of that would probably pull me right out of this slump ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A two headed kangaroo? That must be some slump!
Sorry to hear about the passing of your friend's husband.That's so hard.
What part did you play in the shuttle re-design? It must have been very interesting work trying to design a craft that could hand the stresses of our atmosphere, then no atmosphere, only to plunge back into ours like some man made comet.
You truly are a very interesting person.
Talk to you later AJ

Lori Hurst said...

That should read Shuttle SRB Redesign - as in the company I worked for made the Solid Rocket Boosters (SRB's) which failed during that Challenger flight. I am a computer scientist - thus my part was to install all 4 mainframes that Morton Thiokol had purchased for the Redesign - thus getting all the real Redesigners (the engineers - like my husband) on computers that were not IBM mainframes - computers that were supposed to be used more for business and not number crunching.

In between trying to get the large computers working for hundreds of engineers, my husband would start a program on one of the IBM's and hang it - taking a mainframe with hundreds of users down to only working for him ... blissfully crunching his numbers ...

... thus my secondary job was to go beg my genius husband to stop messing around with our old computers and try to share with the other kids ...

(he never listened to me ...)