23 May 2010

Magical ....

First off - this was a 'No Photo Sunday'. Weird. I. Take. Photographs.... All. The. Time. So - why I didn't snap off a single shot is beyond me. In Sydney. On the way to the airport. The airport. Brisbane. Nada. Like I said .... weird.

But! Here is something cool! This little ditty (which is in CS4 but I didn't realize it until I saw a tutorial on CS5) is super magical.

Two images - same panorama. Do you see a difference? OK, I admit - it is smallish - since it is a panorama - double click on them ... I'll wait ....
See it?


Yes? No?

I absolutely ABHOR people in my photographs. I know, it is a character flaw, I really don't like people all that much - got a degree to work with computers just so I could avoid people (that didn't really work out all that well - 'cause, well, people BREAK computers and I would have to fix them - the computers, that is ...).

OK, I am not that averse to people - but close. But in my photographs? Yeah. I. Hate. Them. I even told Gary to get out of my shots of the Opera House - how mean is that?So ... I get up really early when everyone else is blissfully sleeping, hope for a bad weather day so there wont be mobs, or I take a few token shots that I never look at again because I don't like them. I don't know why I am wired this way ... I just am.

SO ... Took out these guys:

Boom! Gone!

And these guys:
Gone!


These guys:
Adios.



Him:

Bye Bye.



And him:


All in all - I washed away 7 groups of people from the above photo.

How? Am I magic? Far from it - but Photoshop is. The trick: 'Content Aware'. Select the person (using what ever - the lasso is fine, it does not need to be exact). Hit 'edit' 'fill' and when the menu pops up - in the drop down menu - select 'Content Aware' and photoshop does its best guess on what is behind the offending person and fills it in.



SERIOUSLY .... HOW COOL IS THAT?!?


I did the selections quick and dirty so don't look too close - but I'm digging my 'Abandoned Opera House' photo ...


OK, OK, here is one piece of another panorama - with obnoxious guy taking a photo:
AND without obnoxious guy taking a photo:
How cool is that?

AND FOR AJ:

'Eagle Eye AJ' noted that while I had gotten rid of obnoxious camera guy - I had not gotten rid of his pants reflected in the granite. I give you, AJ, a better version:


Reflection gone! (Good eye - at 2:00am when I was playing - didn't even see it ...)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lori, funny thing about your final picture of the CS5ing of the humanoid in foreground. Look closely, you can see the ghostly reflection of his white Dockers in the Marble courtyard.
Gone, well almost ;-)
Very neat technique,looking at your post on May 22 at 5:23PM the last photo captured a human looking over the rail. I'm surprised he hasn't been CS5ed. Glad to see you having fun, AJ

Vicki said...

That is wonderful! Too bad it doesn't work for real life. Not that I'd want to get rid of the people, but I would love to have edited out the junk in my study instead of having to haul it to DI.

Lori Hurst said...

AJ - gave you a new photo - good eye!

Vicki - I'm glad it is just in Photoshop - I am afraid I would not use my powers for good ...