08 May 2010

Not Totally Roo-less

Decided to go adventuring Saturday. Picked a random National Park (Border Ranger National Park) and drove the little, bumpy roads to get there. We were later in the day because, well ... we were lazy and didn't get up at 4:00am to get there around dawn. We still thought that since it was cool, we just might see some Roos.

We were, we discovered in an old area that used to be logged ... to death apparently and found lots of shacks:





Fun to take pictures of ... not very fun to live by I don't imagine ...


Found a beautiful lookout looking down into the valley:


Driving along meadows filled with grazing cows, then up and over the ridge and suddenly we were surrounded by rain forest:


Found the Keebler Elves house:

But no roos. I told Gary my blog was going to be called "Roo-less" since this was the first time we had 'adventured' out into 'roo territory' and not spotted a single one. Suddenly a rat like figure - in shape and size hopped across the road - I was so startled with a 'did not compute' since it was so incredibly tiny I never even lifted my camera and try to get a shot off.

Gary said it counted. I told him that a jumping rat did not constitute a 'roo'. But, he argued, he was shaped like a roo, was convinced it was a mammal that had a pouch - thus - counted. Just a sec, let me go see if I can google what it was ....

.... nope - no go - there is the 'Potoroo' a small kangaroo/rat like animal about the size of a rabbit - which is EXACTLY how we described it - Gary even just said it was about the size of a rabbit - small problem ... they are endangered - can't believe we saw that hopping across the road ...

What ever.

We clocked over 330 kilometres today and a TON of it on dirt roads. We were tired and just wanted to get on paved road. About a mile from pavement - I spied some distinctive ears out in a meadow:

(Note: there are 7 roos in this picture ... can you find them? A 'Where's Waldo' experience ...)

A lazy bunch of about 10 kangaroo, just lazying about. Couldn't even convince them to get up and hop about for some good photos ...

Another two were over in a corner where I could get closer to photograph. Even me yelling at them to 'please just hop about for me' wouldn't scare them into movement. They just stared. I turned to Gary and said something and when I turned around ... they were gone. Buttheads ... I just wanted a photograph of them hopping and I HIGHLY DOUBT that they just WALKED away ...



We were going to go to the coast for some more photos since this felt like quite a drought after Koalas in Melbourne and Waterfalls in Cairns ... but we were too tired, so we just drove home, did our grocery shopping and are just vegging now ...

... think I am going to bed early ....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Someday Lori, someday I may get to Australia. You do take such beautiful pictures.
Thank you for sharing.
Later AJ