10 May 2010

St. John's Cathedral

I believe I used to call this St. James Cathedral - but I am pretty sure of the name now....

Wanted to work on some sharper, low light images and thought that a church interior would be just great - stained glass windows, great architecture, you name it - and generally low light.

I was hoping that they would let me use my tripod, so I put it and my cameras in my backpack and set off for the most distinguished churches in my walking vicinity.


Almost there when I start seeing it reflected in the skyscrapers windows:

Thought - go in the front ... but that door does not even have a handle. It took the third side for me to find a way in ...


They said I could take photos with a tripod as long as I was not a commercial photographer. I wanted to laugh - I told them that I was most definitely not a commercial photographer and started setting up.
Don't think I like their 'funky' orange stuff ... seems to take away from the beautiful architecture and building itself (there was a bunch - like that bright orange 'Frisbee' looking thingy up there hanging for no reason - I just chose to not photograph them ...)
Having had disastrous results for me with stained glass windows in St. Chappelle and Notre Dame side by side churches in Paris with their stained glass windows - maybe foraging one or two usable out of all the blurry ones - these ROCK! (OK, I know that they would not have let me use a tripod in either of the two churches listed above - so there is that ... but I have learned some tricks to stabilizing shots I could try - next time - and better photoshop techniques to help a mediocre photo):




If you look at the detail of one pane - it is a little more apparent that these are much better - tripods and remotes to take the photo make all the difference:

But .... what I fell in love with, was how the light from the stained glass windows made 'rainbows' on the limestone (?) of the building. I took my first shot (all shot in camera raw, but since I am publishing these on the web, I used the .jpg files so the detail is not all there) was using the recommended exposure time ... can't really see the rainbows:


Not a problem for me these days - just turn it to 'manual' and set the shutter speed to something faster. It tells me my photo is going to be dark, but hey, I'm after the rainbows, not the building. Better:

Even darker - and the building disappears and NOW my rainbows appear! Beautiful, no?



Looks over exposed, but wanted to show the beautiful detail in the dark wood - thus making the limestone (?) brick too light:


Found another rainbow:

These are my favourite shots:

Then headed outside. There was a beautiful courtyard:

Beautiful old building:

But, point my tripod at the sky - and all of a sudden you have a juxtaposition of old and new ... I don't particularly like it:


And that was it - wanted to see my rainbow photos so headed back home to check them out!

1 comment:

Kacie said...

I have been learning all about lighting and shutter speeds thanks to the Nikon D90 for dummies! It is really cool how you did that. I really love the photos!