21 November 2009

We Did It!!!


Saturday.

We got up at 4:00am to start a drive to a National Park and see the rain forest all in the hopes that while driving on a 4-wheel road, we would see some Roos. Gary had seen one when with some friends at work going to the same place, but when they turned around to get photos - just got the tail. So we knew they were about - and that they came out at dawn and dusk - unfortunately dawn is 4:00am and we weren't about to get up at 2:00am to hit that, so we were thinking that any Roos we found would be gravy on our trip for the day.

We were down in a meadow and I screamed: "Roos!". We stopped the car some ways away from them and we all got photos - Gary having to find his camera buried in his backpack since he was convinced we would not see any.

They aren't great since they are using my telephoto - but I can check that off my life's list of things to do "See Roos In The Wild" ... done.


This was another one that was actually with 2 others and I screamed "Kangaroo" 3 times before Gary stopped (I was the spotter) so we were rather close. The Roos were on Gary and my Fathers side of the car so I only caught this one shooting out Gary's window.

We then arrived at the park and encountered a flock of parrots. A family had been having breakfast (and I believe feeding them) and there were at least 50 very cheeky birds! Hoping to find something or to catch our attention, they started alighting on us:


Probably one of my favorite photos of my Father of all time:


Unfortunately the girls were not looking so dignified - the birds liked our heads the best, and seriously - who looks good with a parrot on their head?



Got to the rain forest, and two waterfalls which I have been to and blogged about before so I won't bore you with more photos, but to show the scale of the trees and their fins here is Gary posing for me:


All in all it was a good day, an exhausting day, and an exhilarating day since we accomplished all we set out to do. When Gary and I were pining for more Roo sightings, my mother scolded us that we were just being greedy - which, of course, we were!

4 comments:

Vicki said...

What a marvelous day! Congrats.

Cherri said...

I think your dad can now pose as a pirate with complete confidence - he looks natural with a bird on his shoulder!

Jennifer said...

That first roo on the top looks like he is saying, "Uh, what in thuh...?" And the little one is saying, "Dammit."

Jeff said...

Jealous!!!