04 November 2009

To the Moon ... And Back Again

So ... Gary drops his camera - in it's case and ruins my little pal. He decides to order one just like it as a replacement and off goes the request with the magic that is ' The Hurst's Amazon Prime Ordering System' (don't let the name fool you - there isn't a system - you got the money, Mr. Amazon will deliver two days later - simple as that). So I'm a little envious - not enough to drop a camera ... but enough that I go off looking at digital point and shoots with an optical zoom greater than 7 (since that is what Gary has, and we don't need to reproduce his camera ...).

Found a lovely Canon: 12.1 MegaPixels, 12X optical zoom! It is a PowerShot which is what my other one was - this makes me happy, and I decide it is time for me to have a bigger point and shoot camera and order it last Thursday - with a one day delivery - so a Friday delivery.

It arrives before I head to the airport to pick up Gary, so I charge it and bring it along ... The reason I have such a lovely close up shot of my camera? Yes - in the time it takes to get back to our house from the airport, Gary had decided that he would be upgrading his replacement camera:

His is blue.

The dial of settings looks quite similar to the settings I have on my SLR. There is a new one, though. The symbol for this new setting is a red outline of a camera with a red heart inside it. I didn't know what the setting was and started calling it the "Gimme Some Luv" setting and it seems to have stuck. I have read up on it - it is called the 'easy' setting ... just in case Auto wasn't worry free enough.

It is for the über idiot - it tries so hard that it is rather scary at times! I was playing around the other night and pointed it at Charlie. It was dark out, so the flash was going to go off, and this is what I saw on my screen (something close to this - I just PhotoShopped the 'x' on):



This was in real time, mind you - so what I saw was Charlie, wandering around with red 'x's over her eyes! If it wasn't 'x's - then it was red glowing eyes. So my options were 'possessed Charlie' or 'dead Charlie'.

It did try to fix the glowing eye issue by dumping her eye in. Not too bad.


I was taking photos of flowers today and noticed that - depending on what setting you were on - determined if there was a flash, and if there was a flash - I have seen 3 different flashes so far. It tends to change the photo quite a bit!



I liked what it was doing when it did flash - it took out my entire background:


Decided to try to shoot the moon! Not great - I was having trouble - so not great photos, but I got craters! I decided that was good enough for the evening!


New Zealand ... here I come!!!

5 comments:

kimberly said...

I want that camera. *grabby hands*

Shel said...

Wow!! So much fun playing ;)

Rhonda said...

Now that's the camera setting for me! Have fun in New Zealand.

Court said...

Check you out! Watch out New Zealand!

Jennifer said...

"Gimme some luv" - "easy". Means the same thing in the real world, so why not cameras.