11 October 2008

Our Contribution

The other day Ryan was ranting about the stock market troubles and decided to move on to the legacy we have left his generation and his children's generation. Somewhere in his comments he seemed to infer that we were responsible for the financial crisis, gas prices, global warming, wars and rumor of wars and pretty much everything else he sees wrong with the world today. I was sort of seeing his point until he made it abundantly clear (if just sort of kidding ... sort of) that the 'we' he was talking about was not my generation, but Gary and I personally. I was sort of amused since I have to give the kid points for the cleverness of his rant but I still smacked him (a girly smack - don't worry). I am a huge fan of rants - using them copiously myself.

When Gary came home from work, we discussed the days events - he likes to check up on me (my sanity level) and Ryan (see if he stayed in town ...) the usual 'normal' family stuff. I mentioned Ryans rant. We laughed and wondered if we ever worried about the plight of our generation or the world at the age of 18. We pretty much remember the world revolving around us, and could see no farther than oh, the next date.

Gary had apparently given it some thought that evening, and as we were heading off to bed he said: "Next time you talk to Ryan, tell him this is my nightly routine: First I take a 5 gallon container of gas and I pour it in the toilet and flush. Then I take a pile of money and burn it. Then, just for fun, I spray hairspray outside for a few minutes." "Is that all? (No cans of oil dumped in a field? No throwing away car batteries, cellphones, collecting barrels of toxic waste?)" I asked. "Pretty much that's it for now." He replied.

You gotta wonder why the kid has rants ...

1 comment:

Cherri said...

Looks like he needs a more visual reminder of all the good things you do by paying tithing, fast offering funds, supporting charities, etc. Sometimes kids, (and we more experienced folks too) need to see a connection between the simple, fairly routine things we do and the good that comes from it.