22 February 2011

Pretty Little Church .... in a Pretty Little Town ...


Back when we lived in Norway and we were traversing the countryside of the numerous Scandinavian countries I liked to take photos of churches. We quickly discovered that there was a pretty little church in EVERY pretty little town (and ALL towns were pretty little towns). We got to where we drove through and we didn't stop for every one - but pointed them out with the phrase: "Pretty little church ... in a pretty little town ...." and would smile. That these beautiful churches in beautiful landscapes had become so mundane that we did not stop so I could photograph them says a LOT about how many we actually drove past. Thinking back - I wish I had a photo of every "Pretty little church ... in a pretty little town ..." we had encountered ...

That phrase has been going through my head today over and over, like that bottom bar of the news that prints out stocks or what ever - I don't watch the news but I have noticed the distracting bar .... I have one of those banners in my brain and all it is saying, sadly is "Pretty little church ... in a pretty little town ...." over and over and over

I woke to the news of the devastation in Christchurch, New Zealand. With a death toll, this seems more serious than the previous earthquake that hit 6 months (or so) earlier. It bothered me so much to read about the devastation since it was such A BEAUTIFUL CITY. And then I saw this photo (online) and burst into tears:
Christchurch Cathedral was in ruins. And I had just BEEN THERE a year and a few months ago:



It was a beautiful day to take photos of churches and this one was no exception - especially since it was in the town square:




Beautiful interior:





In their gift shop hangs a beautiful hand made wood inlay of the church (not for sale): I so hope it made it:


And in that gift shop, I bought this nativity - always liking to buy nativities from somewhere where it is going to mean more to me than ordering it from Amazon:



I don't know how much of the statues survived:


They were beautiful:

My heart is heavy for a town I barely spent two days in, but enjoyed so much. I worry about the motel owner and his motel where we stayed the first night we were in New Zealand and the last night (we flew into Christchurch, made a loop of the island, then ended back in Christchurch for the last night before flying out). Everyone was so kind and friendly - my heart breaks for all of them.

I am hoping they recover soon - and are able to rebuild that pretty little church in that pretty little town ...

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Lori, I'm so sorry! That looks devastating. I'm glad you have pictures to show us how it looked before. I wonder how much they will restore?