14 February 2011

Loot ... for Laura



Laura asked me to display all the things I was buying. Against my better judgement (I am spoiled and I spend money) and probably to the abhorrence of my husband - I present:

LORI'S LOOT:

Purchased at the top of Oak Creek Canyon (above Sedona) where Navajo, Hopi and Zuni Native Americans sell their handmade jewelry.

Made by Virgil Nez - Navajo (Turquoise and Sterling Silver):
Made by H.T. Nez - Navajo (Agate and Sterling Silver). Note: a VERY cool find. I have sterling silver earrings from another Native American purchase that are round with the exact little danglies - couldn't pass this up because of my matching earrings ... (as Gary rolls his eyes ....):

Purchased in Jerome, AZ (an artsy little town ... near Sedona ... without the Sedona prices!).

Self explanatory (she is a painter - they are hand painted ... so maybe not so self explanatory):

Wooden pot with removable top made by local artisan M. Blake. (Mulberry Wood):

Nativity made by local artist ... sadly - I thought the name was etched on the bottom (as it was on the other one I looked at) but it is not - thus anonymous local artist ...

Amber earrings from Poland:

Jewelry purchased at a Farmers Market in Historic Downtown Chandler.

Self explanatory: (Etched copper ... again with the not so self explanatory!)

Next two necklace sets were purchased from the artist: Stephani Spykerman (Uniquely Yours by Stephanie) and are made of various hand made items:


Purchased in Bisbee, AZ.

Purchased from the artist who hand cuts, makes these beautiful two sided pendants out of local rock and sterling silver (I only know him by his brand name: Designs by Owen):


Main side:

Plain side (yeah, I know ... the flash ...):

Handmade porcelain jewelry by Jeff and Judy Goodwin - local artists:

Here was my steal for the week. I purchased these enormous, very heavy silver earrings that had sat on a shelf so long that they are tarnished. I purchased them in Tombstone - which started as a silver mining town - so cool to get some local silver - tarnished or otherwise! Since the back hookie thing (which I can find anywhere) was missing on one of them - she gave them for me for 1/3 the price ... I think the silver is worth more than the few dollars I paid for them!


Here I started polishing one of them, but soon lost interest, and decided to do it at home. You can see that they will shine up nicely:
And here is my find of the trip!! ANGELS!!! (OK, I pretty much love everything else I have so this is not really true - if I hadn't fallen in love with it - I wouldn't have bought it ...).

Dad and I headed to San Xavier Mission (on a Sunday no less) and I spied the large angel and knew that I had to have her. Luckily (since she is about 2 1/2 to 3 feet tall) I have a hard sided suitcase that was fairly empty coming over - it will not be that way going home ... As I was waiting for them to bubble wrap the crap out of her, I spied my 'Rachael Angel' for the year! From the same artist - she was the baby angel to the ginormous mother angel!

For scale - ornament is about 4 - 5 inches tall ...

So ... well ... um .... that about does it.

.

.

.

.

.

.

I don't call myself spoiled for nothing ....

4 comments:

Laura said...

Thank your for sharing!

It's all beautiful, but my favorites are:

1. The wooden pot

2. Design by Owen two sided pendant

3. Handmade porcelain jewelry set by the Goodwins

4. Two angels

Those are the things I might steal (I mean admire) if they were sitting out and I came to your home.

Kristie said...

I plan to steal the nativity, so let me know when I can come over to "admire" it!!

Jennifer said...

Call me nerdy, but I love that they are displayed on that rock. It makes everything look even more beautiful.

Rhonda said...

Tell Gary that your just doing your part to help the economy.