26 October 2010

Well ... that was ....

... QUICK!

Apparently the job Gary was coming back to was shelved and he literally has pretty much nothing to do at work.

Nothing.

To.

Do.

Gary.

My husband.

That guy ... the one that can't sit still.

Yeah.

To put it mildly, he is a wee bit bored at work. Apparently ... it took exactly 7 days at work for him to lose his mind and on the way home ... suggest we take a vacation.

Now.

Like next Friday.

Okaaaay.

We discussed New York - I will need to get there - have to photograph the place ...

Then I heard him utter a phrase I thought would NEVER pass his lips:

"How about a cruise?"

"What?"

"A cruise ... you know, on a boat." (He really didn't say that ... but he did in my head ....)

Like I said - the man cannot sit still and being trapped on a boat is not his thang ...

I guess things can change. So I start looking for Eastern Carribean cruises that Gary won't jump off the ship on - which means lots of activities. He wanted to visit somewhere every day ... right ... like there is a cruise like that - you have to get where you are going .... and back home again .... right?

So I head off to search and fell in love with one that I thought he would never go for:


Norwegian Cruise lines has a lovely 9 night cruise:


Day 1 Miami, Fl
Day 2 At Sea
Day 3 Samana, Dominican Republic
Day 4 Tortola, British Virgin Islands
Day 5 Antigua
Day 6 Barbados
Day 7 St. Kits
Day 8 At Sea
Day 9 At Sea
Day 10 Miami, Fl


Gary's response? "There are two days at sea at the end" ... while I am just catching my breath from LOOKING at the 5 DAYS above it. "Those are to rest - I will need it".

And we were seriously going to head out on Nov 5th, but the flights weren't working out. And, well ... it seemed rushed.



YOU THINK?


So - we booked the Dec 3rd - Dec 12th cruise and the flights ... all within 3 hours from our initial discussion of maybe taking a cruise.

I really, really don't know how the man feels about it now. He was rather quick on the uptake and said that it was our '29th Anniversary Cruise' about 15 minutes after we booked everything ... like he had planned it all along. The man is good ...

But:

The man and boats has not fared well.

When 'Diana' his offshore oil platform baby was being installed in the Gulf of Mexico and he was on a boat - I distinctly remember him calling me from the boat going crazy that there was no where for him to go and all he wanted to do was make the chopper take him to shore so he could jog up and down the shoreline (they wouldn't).

I believe the Norwegian Dawn WILL have more to keep him busy (complete with a lap pool - he has been swimming laps for his upper body mobility lately ... that broken ... body ... thing) than the barge he was on back then.

He was on a boat installing ... something in Angola, but he didn't have cell phone coverage ... and people were shooting at him ... so I guess he was distracted ... I am not completely sure about how he fared on that boat. All I remember was the security detail in the chopper and him having to land on the roof of the hotel where he was not supposed to leave (which he did - and bought me a lovely nativity ...) and where he mentioned that the maître d’s carried AK-47's ...

Then there was the Hurtigruten. Literally translated as Fast Route in Norwegian. We took the cruise from the top of Norway down to ... I forget - the stop right before Bergen and it rained the entire 7 or 8 days we were on the ship ... with a mentally handicapped daughter and a rather desperate son. FUN TIMES!

So ... the fact that the man is willing to set foot on a ship tells me he is batshit crazy and I better start sleeping with one eye open ...




... oh!



Crap!



And start looking for a swimming suit .... bah!

3 comments:

Cherri said...

Fun! Look at Land's End, I like their suits, you can buy tops and bottoms separately so you can customize the fit, and they are good quality and not flimsy. Have a great time, and capture him while he is willing!

Alisha said...

Love it. Love it all. Have a GREAT time! (And I second the Land's End suggestion)

Jennifer said...

It's funny that he's the one you are calling crazy this time. If he changes his mind, I'm game ;-)