06 October 2010

Butterfly

(or maybe moth ... but he is just too cute - I refuse to call him a moth ...)

On a foray into my backyard ... I noticed what can only be an albino flower growing amongst one of the two plants that I ignore and yet survive. So ... of course ... I needed photos. Got my camera and out I went:

I could not get the definition of the individual flower petals on the 'close up' setting of my small Nikon camera so I started experimenting - trying to find something that wouldn't just be a blob of pink. Oddly, these were taken on a setting for 'food'.

I like that on their insides, they each have a little 'spider flower' - I had never noticed those before:
Since they were looking peaked, I broke my rule of steadfastly ignoring them and went and got a pitcher of water and doused them. A while later, I wondered if I could get some better photos of the flower (no) but discovered I had a friend visiting:
I sat down, set my camera on 'close up' and just took photo after photo of the little guy. I thought he was posing for me (note the drops of water on the leaves in front of my new friend, and his cute little coiled 'hose'):
He was drinking the drops of water off the leaves! Note his uncoiled 'hose' (I am sure there is a name for it - but I am too lazy to look up butterfly anatomy lingo ...):
He 'hoovered' up every single drop on those leaves! That was quite a bit of water for a little guy, it was a wonder he could fly off ... but fly off he did ... *sigh*:

4 comments:

Val and Marceil said...

I don't think my previous message came through but it is sad to add that your ancient dad knows the hose that grows on the nose of the butterfly and used to suck nector from the rose, is officially known as a probiscus.

dad

Lori Hurst said...

Glad, Dad, that you could add. Couldn't remember the name ... it had become so bad it was driving me a tad mad. So sad for a college grad ...

Rhonda said...

Eee Gads. This is driving me mad! I knew it was probiscus too but dear old dad beat me through.

Lori Hurst said...

Thanks Rhonda!

Wouldn't it just be sublime ...

If comments rhymed all the time?