23 October 2010

JOY!!!

1) For getting the title "Barfing Photos" off y'alls blog lists

2) SLEEPING THROUGH THE NIGHT!

Went to sleep last night, discouraged, wondering how I was going to fill the next 10 hours. Tossed and turned a wee bit, made a plan to sneak out to the computer, maybe try out the new guest bed mattress, wander the house, you know - the usual insomniacs plans.

I rolled over, picked up my iTouch to play and wondered is it 1:00am, maybe (oh please let me have slept THREE WHOLE HOURS) 2:00am? I flicked it on and the numbers 6:57 came on the screen ... big as life.

Blink.

I TURNED IT OFF AND BACK ON.

SHOOK IT A LITTLE.

Damn thing is broken, I thought. And clear as day: 6:58.

I was speechless ... well, not really - what I wanted to do was wake up Gary to scream that I SLEPT THROUGH THE ENTIRE NIGHT!!! EIGHT HOURS!!! AHHHHH!!! But I let the poor man sleep.

And then a sobering thought hit me - I can't remember EVER having this happen. EVER.

IN.

MY.

LIFE.

Oh, I am sure it has - but not like this - I would have remembered the celebration and inevitable 'happy dance' ... of sleeping through the night. Oh, yes -there is a happy dance ...

Sad really ... that something so natural as sleeping can be so foreign and elusive to an entire class of people called insomniacs. Wish I wasn't one of 'em, wish I knew the secret Gary has obviously been keeping from me for YEARS on how to lay your head on the pillow and 30 seconds later snorfling like a baby, wish it was not work to fall asleep:

Lay still, think of nothing ... OK think of something so BORING it will make you fall asleep, lay still, don't think, lay still, don't think, ... for at least an hour to two hours for me to fall asleep every night - one hour is pushing it - I am generally just getting warmed up? Winding down? Two hours is what I estimate it will take me to fall asleep and since I am an avid clock watcher it's not a guess.

And two hours a night is what I get for sleep to call it a success. Sometimes I sleep for 3 whole hours and that is cause célèbre.


Yes.

Two or three hours.


Not all the time, but when I am in a lot of pain - two hours is generally the limit - so this is cause to celebrate! Since I am still stuck down the 'Rabbit Hole' things look generally bleak, the landscape is dreary and things feel painfully painful - but this is a start! This is a turning in the right direction - I can feel it ... deep down inside of me where the grey and the darkness and the clouds and the ugly can't reach -

it's a beginning....

3 comments:

Alisha said...

That is WONDERFUL news! Yay for a full night's sleep! I don't know how you insomniacs do it.

Cherri said...

Yay! Rejoicing for you here in Idaho. Someone told me that you need to think of three things that you did well that day, and it will turn your mind to pleasant relaxing thoughts. It did help, I didn't wake up then fret about some student's grades or one of my children's woes.

Laura said...

So happy you had a good night's sleep! I'm with Alisha - I don't know how you insomniacs survive. I've had occasional nights of insomnia, and it's not fun. I can't imagine going through that night after night. Tonight I hope your sleeping streak continues!!