18 October 2010

Panic


So ... I get up this morning ... about 5 different times. It was not a good night and starting out to be a not good day - my pain level is at about as bad as it gets .... OK, it is as bad as it gets - in fact I think I have set a record and jumped up to an all new level.

This does not improve my mood.

At all ....

Since I could not grasp my hands, walk or basically think without every joint and muscle in my body SCREAMING in pain. I found myself in bed over and over again.

But, see, now my computer can come with me - my iTouch would keep me company and I was blissfully surfing the web, being obnoxious to AJ, and checking out facebook when I got the dreaded 'twirling circle of death' - it just twirled and twirled - and apparently my iTouch had lost its mind.

I went out to my computer and tried a few web sites. No go.

I was offline. The Internet was no where to be found.

Ahhhh!

What to do?

What to do?

I decided to nap and see if what ever the problem was would take care of itself. So back to bed. Gary stayed home today to recuperate from jet lag and made me get out of bed and eat something. I told him my life as I knew it was over - the Internet was dead. He asked me if I had called our provider. I told him that was my next step.

Waited another hour and called my provider.

Told them the problem. A very nice tech guy ran some diagnostics.

Nice tech guy: "It seems as if your modem is turned off."

Lori: "I have reboot both it and my router twice - and still nothing"

Nice tech guy: "Do you have a way of hooking your computer up directly to the modem?"

Lori: "Yes, I have a laptop, but let me get a ladder and climb up and take a look and see what's what. I have just been unplugging the extension cord when I say rebooting both, and then call you back."

Nice tech guy: "OK, and if when you hook your computer directly to your modem and it still does not work, call us back and we will schedule someone to come out, take a look and fix it."

Lori: "Okey Dokey, thanks for the help."

I hang up and start to panic. I mean PANIC. That I could actually be without Internet for days.


DAYS!


WHAT WOULD I DO? Half of my iTouch apps wouldn't work. I would have to resort to reading a real books, clean the house, laundry, talk to people, icky stuff like that.

I sat there panicking over basically nothing - I mean Internet - I SHOULD be able to live without it, right?

RIGHT?

In the fog of my panicked state, I started thinking, hmmmm Gary has been rearranging his closet - and the router and modem live in his closet - coincidence?

I think not.

Got out the ladder I have to keep in my closet to reach the upper shelves and started checking things out. Unburied the router and modem - covered with a brand new pile of baseball caps Gary had tossed up there and sure enough - the modem was unplugged.

I HAVE INTERNET AGAIN!!!

And Gary is sort of in trouble. Not really - but had he not been messing around in his closet - I wouldn't have had my panic attack and I would still be blissfully unaware of how addicted to the Internet I actually am ....


... I guess there are worse addictions ....





.... right?

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAhahahahahaha! I am dying laughing! This is because I had read your blog earlier, and everything seemed great - you had your apps, it was all good... And then I see "Panic" as your post title, and I have to say I started freaking out. Did something happen to Gary? Did something happen to one of the kids or Charlie? I am SO relieved that, not only was it "just" the internet, but it is restored. Now, if I had not immediately gone to mortal injury in my mind's eye, loss of internet would have rated high on the panic list.

Cherri said...

My modem died a couple of weeks ago and I went a week before the new one was delivered. Fortunately for my sanity I could get online at work. I know EXACTLY how you felt. Can't believe I am so addicted, and I don't have nearly the same fun toys that you have, so that makes your addiction worse.