17 August 2010

War Wounds


It is 10:30 am on Wednesday morning and Gary is Home!!!

Got up and to the hospital by 6:30am. Gary was awake and miserable. He told me it was the longest night of his life. He had weaned himself off the morphine drip so that they would let him go.

He told me to take a picture:

I know - gross. But it was worse when they changed his dressing. The staples are seriously uncomfortable looking. I am sure I will post a photo of his staples at some point ...

The doctor came in at 8:00 and gave us the good news that the surgery was a success. He had to put two plates along the clavicle but all in all it is looking good. Gary says he feels more comfortable now that there is some sort of strut over there supporting stuff.

After Gary managed a shower on his own, they changed his dressing and told us we were good to go.

He is in a lot worse shape than he was in stepping out of the apartment yesterday - sort of like they knocked him unconscious and then beat him up. He is very sore and tired - but looking good to me. I am happy he is home and able to be more comfortable.

****

And on a nice note - Ryan is totally moved into his apartment thanks to a grundle of wonderful people. Thanks to everyone that helped load the truck, move him in and organise the entire thing. He just e-mailed me from his apartment ... so the last thing - the WiFi is done - I can breathe a sigh of relief there.

Thanks again for everyone helping us at this time.

5 comments:

Cherri said...

Thanks for the update - I'm glad he gets to go home. There is no rest to be achieved while in a hospital - someone decides every half hour that there is something they HAVE to do right then and come into your room. Good wishes heading your way from Rexburg!

Jennifer said...

Dang, Lori, how sick am I that the first thing I thought when I saw that picture was, "Dang, Gary's got a nice chest!"

I'm glad y'all are home. I'm impressed dude would wean off morphine just to leave. I'd be pumping that button like I was playing Nintendo. Hopefully, though, the recovery will be faster with a solid night's rest each night.

And yay for Ryan being settled in!

Anonymous said...

These damn celebrity surgeons who sign their work! What heck kind of name is R. Clavicle.... oh never mind. Hope the mending process moves along smoothly for Gary. Take care AJ

Court said...

Ouch, that's gonna leave a mark.

Best wished to Gary (and you) for a quick and full recovery.

Court said...

Make that "wishes". I'm working on a new keyboard and my typing is outta whack. :)