16 August 2010

Doctor Appointment


Well, Gary and I are no slouches when it comes to reading an x-ray and what that x-ray implies ...

The doctor picked up the very one I took a picture of and posted here and said that Gary needed surgery. Big surprise. He was, although, much better at reading the x-ray - stating right off the bat that his collar bone was broken in 2 places with 4 chips floating about. I couldn't see all that. They will cut into Gary tomorrow afternoon (he will be under general anesthesia) and put a plate across the three pieces of collar bone and get them lined up.

They will then cut open his wrist (don't tell Gary about this part - it gives him the chills) and steal bone for some bone grafts. Apparently the bone graft site hurts worse than the incision for the collar bone fix.

So - fun, fun, fun in store for tomorrow. He will stay overnight - and then I am sure I can bring my grumpy fellow home.

Cross your fingers, say a prayer, here goes nothing ...

3 comments:

Vicki said...

It is good that you have competent care, but so tough to have to go through it. Our prayers are with you two.

The Sullengers said...

I'm so sorry about all that is happening - we all found out on our family trip in Ohio. So I am now just getting around to reading blogs. I hope things keep getting better from here on out. We will pray for you!

Cherri said...

I will put his name on the temple prayer roll. have him ask for a priesthood blessing! We'll keep all of you in our prayers. How did the move go with Ryan?