08 August 2010

Getting Back on the Horse ...


I was lying in bed and my son walks in. He asks how 'coherent' I am. I have been throwing up, so my electrolytes could be off so I take an inventory of my body. I don't seem to be twitching, Ryan doesn't have two heads and I am taking inventory - that's a good, coherent sign, yes? I told him I was fine.

He got 'Dad was hit by a bus' out and the rest gets sort of scritchy in my ears. Kind of a lot like feedback from the universe that just kicked me in the butt. He goes on to mention that he won't be home to help move Ryan to Austin. My brain freezes. I CAN'T DO THIS! I can't do this alone! CRAP!

And thus began my descent into my "ME, ME, ME" stage of what was going to happen due to the fact that Gary had 5 broken ribs, a broken collar bone and a broken scapula. I whipped out a blog, made a few phone calls to warn, like, my mom that I had just blogged "Gary was hit by a bus" so she wouldn't have a heart attack, then went and lay down in a fetal ball and cried.

Ten minutes later, I got up, found the phone number that Gary had e-mailed me and attempted to call Brisbane's Royal Hospital. I couldn't get it to work on my land line - but you gotta love the Blackberry - I just highlighted the number in the e-mail, hit the call button and it added the '+' and everything and made the call. I hear a, I suspect, very high Gary: 'hello'. And I start to cry.

"How are you"

Gary: "I feel like I have been hit by a bus"

"Funny"

.
.
.

Gary: "I was thinking since I am not coming home, you could come out here - come see River Fire"

"Man, you know how to tempt a girl"

Gary: "I know what motivates you"

.
.
.
We ring off and it hits me. He can't get dressed alone. He has seven broken bones that cannot be put in a cast and he has one arm literally tied behind his back (OK, strapped to his chest) and he is supposed to get dressed, undressed, stuff like that (oh, PLEASE let him still be able to drive - I don't think I am ready for this). But I realized I NEED TO BE THERE. Someone has to take care of him!

I call my friend who does exactly what I knew she would do - immediately tells me to go - that they will move Ryan, take care of the dog, take care of Jessie. And they will - I have the BEST FRIENDS! I got a bit weepy and confessed that I was scared to fly. It was only for a minute, but I was terrified to even think about making that flight again. It passed - my friend calmed me down.

So - with a ticket purchased for Tuesday - that gets me in on Thursday morning with him scheduled to be home some time Wednesday - I am off to fly the not-so-friendly skies once again.

But - I am darn well staying until after River Fire - a huge celebration on the Brisbane River where they shoot off a ton of fireworks off of Story Bridge. That is September 4th - yes - I will be staying a month - but I think he is going to need help for that long so there is no guilt even involved.

Well, maybe a little ....



.... I GET TO SEE RIVER FIRE!!!!

4 comments:

Pops Stargell said...

I'm back from Midland and ready to help. I'm home with the boys all week, so there's gotta be something I can do to pitch in - with Ryan's move or whatever. Just open your front door and yell, and I'm there.

Cherri said...

Oh, Lori, I am so sorry for both (all?) of you! Tell Gary we are thinking of him. I realized that I don't even have a phone number for him when he is out of town, and I don't have one for you at all. Kacie told me about it when we were driving to Kirtland yesterday, and I spent the rest of the day trying to get updates from Vicki, Steve, or Craig. Love ya, and we wish we could help.

Jennifer said...

I love the sense of humor Gary has! You just go and stay as long as you like - I love you and I will be praying for everything to just get better.

Court said...

You are all over River Fire! You and Gary can watch it together. You can get him all set up with drinks and snacks and then you'll have a photography hey-day.

P.S. I pray that your flight arrives uneventfully.