12 August 2010

It's Going to be a Long Month ...


Made it through Day 1 of 'The Great Convalescence' with a seriously stubborn patient! Gary insists on doing everything himself to the point of exhaustion. He is in a HUGE amount of pain and it is seriously not fun to watch. I see his father in him more now than ever - that stubbornness!

He went to work yesterday and then on to get x-rays. His collar bone at the top of this x-ray is seriously not aligned. He sees a doctor on Monday and he will probably be in surgery on Tuesday.


After he got home, we watched some TV, he napped and overall he just tried to ignore the pain - an impossible task. I feel rather helpless, but he is letting me help him a little bit more today.

We headed to bed - our Thursday night and I realized that I had only 1 hour of sleep since Monday - so doing rather well in spite of the fact that I was seriously sleep deprived. And sleep deprived I shall stay for a bit. I had a conference call with Richmond Assisted Living Center for Jessie's yearly meeting that I was unable to attend - thus they called me up - 1:00am my time. I had been able to sleep for a couple of hours - woooo hoooo - 3 hours since Monday! I got to speak with Jessie - then during the call, Gary woke up and had to change positions - so we watched more TV. I am assuming the nights might just go a bit like that for now - with a 2 hour intermission in the middle with Gary sitting to change his position.

Went back to bed and he was able to stay for a while. He is now off to work again and drove. I don't even dare call and see how that went. I heard ambulances off in the distance a while back and prayed it was not him ...

So - I'm in for the long haul, I need to hunker down, ride it out and realize that I am going to lose about 10 IQ points from watching stupid TV ....

2 comments:

Cherri said...

Ow, that x-ray shows some serious painful days ahead. I hope he starts being a more obedient patient and lets you help more - after all, that is what you are there for. Do you need me to call and exert my big sisterly influence (non-existent, I am sure, since I quit beating up on Gary on the day he chased me into the coat closet in the house and was big enough to keep me there!)

Hang in there, you can do it!(both of you) How did the move for Ryan go?

Anonymous said...

Some pretty painful looking souvenirs he's got there. It's going to take some time to heal, my thoughts go out to both of you. Take care AJ