30 December 2010

Gary: Enabling my Addiction


As shown in the previous blog, Gary completed the dresser for the guest room / Ryan's room. He spent the rest of the day making a mirror to go with it from an old mirror we had. He was so efficient that he had it whipped out and finished in no time - complete with multiple coats of Deft Oil.

So ... he is DONE.

Done.

Done.

Done.

He woke up this morning crashing from a saw dust high, with no project planned - we were going to head to Huntsville to a wood place and buy some specialty wood for him to play with, and I was going to take sunrise photos along the way - but somehow that fell through. The man was bereft of joy - completely beside himself and refused to get out of bed! He had lost his will to live. Apparently saw dust withdrawal is a very serious condition ...

I finally got up and headed to the doctor to pick up my morphine prescription and on the way back got a phone call from the man. He was out of bed! Headed off to swim and to go buy the wood he had planned on buying earlier - just at a closer wood store.

He wanted to play with some pretty, exotic wood but the difference in price is significant. Oak, a board foot is around $2.50 - and adds up rather quickly the way we burn through it, but some of the stuff he bought today was $17.95 a board foot. You do not just 'play around' with stuff like that!

So - he has decided to make me some wooden containers out of the exotic woods. And make some practice containers out of cheaper wood first. OK, wooden containers ... may not sound that great to you - but to me?

Well, let's put it this way ...



... I have a thing for wooden containers. A HUGE thing for them! Well, containers of any sort - I am not sure why. If it is smaller than a bread box and holds stuff - I am so enamoured with it - somewhere deep in my DNA somewhere is an itty bitty box holding the sequence for the love of containers ...

I have literally avoided going to the Container Store because I am afraid of what I might become while I am there. Well, and what my shopping cart, or carts might get filled up with. Sort of like an alcoholic avoiding bars. A lovely side effect of being a total 'container freak' is I will always have a place to store my jewelry that I collect .... see how that works out?

.... and about anything else that needs to be stored somewhere cute!

Gary decided to look around at my containers to check out the joints, hinges and whatnot so we started touring ... room by room ... my containers. Well, at least my wooden containers ...

I have them in my office up high:

and down low - on my desk storing bits of this and that:

More near my desk, more bits:

My shelves are crammed full of containers - their origins span the globe their woods vary:



Containers on the floor:
My jewelry is spread out throughout my bedroom - by category:

I have some of Gary's moms jewelry in a lovely wooden container from a place near where I grew up and she lived:

Most of my jewelry resides in containers stacked all on top of each other ... probably not Gary's style to build ...

The craft room is riddled with containers - holding all sorts of sewing and craft supplies - one of them with a very cool hidden opening:



Even the bathrooms are not spared - gotta have cotton balls and Q-tips somewhere:

More shelves, more containers:

Specialty ones I had made for me -

A Norwegian Tine - a sewing box filled with old fashioned sewing, knitting and crocheting items ...

Their even hidden! My Armoire is absolutely chocked full of containers - all filled with my treasures:
More shelves, more containers ...

Norwegian ones complete with their form of toll painting - rosemaling - probably not Gary's style either:


But the wood he got to make my containers out of! It is absolutely beautiful!

Some walnut:

This beautiful wood called Zebrawood:

And this called Wenge:

He told me to go Google 'small wooden containers' and pick out some that I liked. My goodness! I'm like a kid in a candy store - so many cool containers, how to choose, how to choose? And ... there are literally a TON of images of 'small wooden containers' on the web ... I pretty much want them all ...

The man is a bit happier now. Calmed down a bit. He is not actively snorting sawdust this evening - not out in the garage, but with wood in the garage, a project he can begin tomorrow, he is back to his wonderful self again!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

From this day forward I will never look at a wood container without thinking of you!

Vicki said...

What gorgeous wood. I'm excited to see the results.

Anonymous said...

I have yet to see that one on "Intervention"
It has been a mighty struggle hiding her wood box addiction, Lori Hurst is a two box a week addict. Finding solace in the scent and sheen of polyurethane and Deft oil finishes, she is the last person one you would suspect as a woodict.
Happy New Year sweetie. AJ