15 December 2010

Where did the time go?


Angels, angels, angels ...


December 1996 - I found myself walking around in West Oaks Mall - totally lost. Not lost in a physical sense ... in every other sense you can imagine. It was the holidays, I needed toys for my kids and I was pregnant with a baby that I had been told was going to die as soon as she was born. I was so lost I didn't know if I would ever find my way back to normal ... or if I would even survive the next few months.

But the holidays - not my time of year anyway - and here I was just trying to breath in and breath out - sometimes that is all I could accomplish the fear and sorrow and pain were so intense I just concentrated on that: just keep breathing. Sort of became a theme for that wonderful time in my life.

So, here I was - trying to find a Disney toy that my daughter didn't already own, and what to get my dear sweet son - who was so worried about me - could pick up on the stress and was very stressed out ... and with me just trying to breathe, was not much help - I am sure he is scarred for life (yet again) because of that period of time. Christmas carols were playing, people scurrying about shopping and laughing as if not a care in the world - and then it happened: a panic attack starts up. My vision narrows to tunnel vision, the music dims, people are talking, but I cannot hear them and the panic is so unbearable I don't know how to even get out of the mall and find my car.

I am hyperventilating, trying unsuccessfully not to cry and rooted in place. I am in front of a Hallmark store - right by their display window. I am frantically looking around - where am I? How did I get here? Where is my home? WHAT AM I DOING?

I look up ... and I see her:
a beautiful cherubic baby angel hanging in the window. I am mesmerized by her - she looks like pure gold and such a peaceful look on her face. She is holding her hand out - if beckoning to me - to calm down. I calm down a bit - and the words 'Peace, be still' came to mind. My breathing slowly returned to normal, I remembered where I was and where my home was. The panic became manageable, and so I started walking - right into that Hallmark store - and bought that cherubic angel ...

... she became my Rachael. My angel baby - that I would never raise, or watch grow up or have a relationship with. I hung her at the top of my tree, as I do every year ...

So every year I buy an angel for my Christmas tree - there are 14 'Rachael Angels' in all (plus a few extras - because, for some reason - I now have a thing for angels ...) she would have been 13 this year - but that first one was in 1996 - she was born in 1997 - so 14 in all.

In some ways it seems like yesterday - but in most ways it is a distant, bittersweet memory that I have recovered from. Which is saying a lot - I never knew a person could be that lost, scared, in so much pain - so many things were so ... big ... Like a huge insurmountable mountain I needed to climb - I just didn't know how I was going to do it ...

... but do it, I did - and came out the other end ... eventually ... a better person.

For you, Rachael, baby doll - Merry Christmas:

















4 comments:

Vicki said...

What a sweet tribute. Thanks for sharing your memories.

Lori A said...

I love the angels! A perfect way to remember!

The Sullengers said...

As I get older I'm starting to know all the heartache that may come with having a family. I think about my niece that should of turned two tomorrow and I am prayerful for all mothers who have suffered a great loss. I think those angels are beautiful and a great reminder of forever families and beautiful racheal

Cherri said...

I went to the "Preslee's Present" activity that Cara talks about in her post above. She is Cara's niece and they put together 300 bags with goodies for parents who are down in Primary Children's Hospital worrying about a sick or dying child. There was a quote I loved that someone had given Ashley Sullenger. It is from Jeffrey R Holland, and it said, "Some blessings come soon, some come late, and some don’t come until heaven; but for those who embrace the gospel of Jesus Christ, they come." Your blessing of raising Rachael will come. What a lovely tradition!