26 December 2010

A First ...


We are horrible about sending Christmas cards ... we used to send out a newsletter - when the kids were young ...

and cute ...

Went to Norway, came back with a change of address - no one knew where we were and we sort of dropped off the grid ... (except for family - we broke down and gave them our address)

Last year - when we decided on a $25.00 limit for presents I came up with the idea of making a calendar for Gary. The price was right and I had a few photos lying about ...

So this year I decided to make a calendar again. Gary, upon seeing it online decided that we would send it out to our families in lieu of cards. That we hadn't sent cards in 6 years didn't seem to come into play here. I was a bit embarrassed.

Whats worse, my father - THE MOST WONDERFUL PHOTOGRAPHER - sends out a calendar every year - so for my family - this was just, well ... stupid. But we did it anyway and I forgot about it.

Until last week when I got a few phone calls of thanks and kind words (thank you Cherri and Jodi ...). And then I got the WEIRDEST call.

Jill, my sister called, said she loved my calendar and her co-workers wouldn't believe that her sister made it and that it was not a professional calendar she had purchased.

Jill: "Would you, like, tell them that you are my sister and that you really are Lori Hurst?" (There is a 'photos by Lori Hurst' on the cover)

Lori: "Are you serious?"

Jill: "Yes! They don't believe me!"

(Yelling in the background)

Jill: "OK, they believe me now that I called you ..."

Lori: "Your friends are really weird ... but rather nice - tell them thank you."

Jill: "OK, bye."

Lori: "Bye"

And that was the end of it ... until the next day when I got another phone call from Jill asking if I had any other calendars.

Jill: "One of my friends really, really wants one - she will pay anything ... oh, and she wants you to autograph it."

Lori: "Dude! What is wrong with your friends?"

Jill: "Just ... do you have one?"

Lori: "I could probably come up with one - but I'm not charging and I AM NOT SIGNING IT ..."

Jill: "OK, at least let her pay for the shipping ..."

Lori: "No. You realize this is way beyond weird ..."

Jill: "Sort of ... but it is really pretty."

Lori: "I will get one in the mail"

Jill: "OK, thanks, bye"

Lori: "Bye ..."

So here it sits:


UNSIGNED and ready to be mailed. This has to be a first for me ...

But, when I mentioned it to Gary - he said I should post the photos ... so it would be in my blog book. So - I am posting them ... I am sure I have posted all of them before ... and what I would really like to do is post all the 'runner ups' but there are way too many ...


Cover:


January: Brisbane, Australia:

February: Yosemite, California:
March: Sydney, Australia:
April: Texas Wildflowers, Texas Hill Country:
May: Millaa Millaa Falls ~ Cairns, Australia
June: Heceta Head Lighthouse, Oregon:
July: Melbourne, Australia
August: Austin, Texas (point of interest - random shot out of a moving car window - cropped, of course):
September: Tasmania, Australia:
October: Australia:
November: Byron Bay Lighthouse ~ Byron Bay, Australia:
December: Hill Country, Texas:


For some reason ... the rule is the photos must have been taken in the year the calender is being made. I don't know if I got that from my Dad, or if I made that up ...

... it is just the way it is ...

5 comments:

Kristie said...

Do you think its crazy that I want one too?

Cherri said...

I love it - I spent one morning this week transferring all the birthdays and anniversaries from last year's calendar into this one. Awesome, and now it hangs in my computer room to remind me of how awful I am at getting birthday wishes out. Everyone needs to get on facebook so it will remind me on time!

trish said...

Such beautiful pictures. I can see why your sister's friend wanted it signed...

Unknown said...

Funny you posted this...I was just lamenting the fact that the 2010 you gave me that hangs in our kitchen will no longer be current as of later this week! The pictures are wonderful for 2011. And if you're making more I'd be glad to reimburse you. I like your dad's rule. Over the years it would show how your photography skills/style changes.
(And what's not cute about your 20 something-year-old wrapped in packing material?)

Laura said...

You could definitely sell those, Lori. I know that I would buy one. What's great is that your photos of Austin and bluebonnets are just as wonderful as your photos of exotic places (to us) like Australia and Tasmania.