21 December 2010

A Family Affair ...

A lesson in woodworking:

1) Everyone eventually gets involved

2) Copious amounts of clamps need to be used

3) A lovely technique for putting together, oh, say a dresser - is biscuit joinery:

Yes - biscuits - don't they just look like you could lay them out on a baking sheet and bake them right up?

You use this doohickey to make the slots to slide the biscuits in (half a slot on each side of whatever you want to join ...): Then you start sticking the biscuits in - complete with wood glue:

And then start fitting the piece of furniture together with the help of anyone willing and able to help (and more glue - of course ...):
Clamps are used to cram the two pieces together, or in the case of the emerging dresser / armoire - multiple pieces together ... This took quite an effort on all three of our parts just to get it put together (sort of like a dresser puzzle) clamped up and all the edges in PERFECT ALIGNMENT (a MUST for Gary):
More clamps:
Let sit and the wood glue dry - or at least start to dry ... and voilĂ ! The inside of a dresser / armoire (I am unsure what it is exactly ... I will know better when it is done I guess). And note - after all that joinery, since none of this wood will be seen - it will all be covered with other pieces of wood - Gary put screws in it. I am pretty sure we could drop this sucker off our two story roof and it would just bounce ...
Lesson on biscuit joinery over ....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And on a more Christmas'sey note - lookie what I did!!!
The presents are wrapped! Oh, yes - I am done, done, done - except for Gary's ginormous boxes with his dove tail jig (lessons on that, I am sure will be coming at some future date) and this:

I WILL be wrapping Gary's boxes ... but I REFUSE to wrap my own present. OK, I wrapped a few little ones (oooh - Microsoft Office and Microsoft Outlook - too bad I know all the gifts I am getting for Christmas - But: 'SUPER DUPER PIMPED OUT COMPUTER'!!! Need I say more?). Do y'all have to wrap your own presents?

Just asking ...

1 comment:

Kristie said...

I was just about to go wrap my own present when I read this! Now I might make him wrap it. I bought my own present though so isn't that bad enough. And my other present Shelley wrapped for him.