08 September 2010

Tick Tock ...


Well, it is the morning that I fly home from Brisbane ... for the very last time. I have decided that I am going to miss this place. The 'Great Convalescence' is over, and I am assuming it will fade to the background and all the wonderful times I had here - our adventures to Melbourne, Sydney, Cairns, New Zealand will remain in the forefront.

Upon waking, I discovered that Story Bridge and Brisbane were putting on a final show for me:





And, of course, I had to take pictures. They are labeled 'StoryBridgeLast'. It was a wonderful way to start the morning. My Vengeful Travel Gods are wreaking havoc, of course - I wouldn't know what to do if travel went smoothly anymore ...

So off to the airport early to check in and hopefully get my coveted aisle seat. You know ... there are definitely things I AM NOT GOING TO MISS about this ... travel being a huge first!



Gary update:

As I leave Gary - we discussed at dinner last night how far he had come! Long lost is the very, very pale man I encountered when I arrived and back to his usual colour. Last night I smilingly told him I was proud of him at the restaurant - he was cutting his own food - and eating with his right hand!

He also sneezed yesterday without swearing ... a first since the fall. Coughing has been curse word free for a while, but sneezing - I think he re-breaks a rib every time he does it!

He is headed to Phoenix on Sunday. He will survive - he is in Business Class - so has his own seat and probably won't be jostled much. His flight from Phoenix to Houston, on the other hand, is in economy - we will see how he is when he shows up!

All in all his recuperation has been rather swift. He is a stubborn patient - but that stubbornness has gotten him up and about faster. Two nights ago was his first 'narcotic free' night and he did well. He never complains, does everything for himself and makes this look easy. I need to pin a gold star to his forehead!

Well, that's it folks. Since I am heading to the airport early - I will be in 'travel land' for about 29 30 hours.


See you then ...

2 comments:

Court said...

Good luck and we'll see you soon!

Pops Stargell said...

Awesome pics as always and good update on Gary. Safe travels! Feel free to come jump on the tramp when you get home to burn off all the airplane sitting energy.