18 September 2010

Gardening in the Rain ...


Well, it IS raining outside ...

In my quest to become Wonder Woman - I have continued with actually doing more than one thing on my 'To Do' list per day. It is a weird feeling ... this having energy and the will to go out and do something ... anything. And being productive? HOW FUN IS THAT? I am having a ball.

After getting new tires yesterday, I headed to a couple of stores to try to shore up my gardens. I threw out about 5 plants and the others are recovering fairly well (in case you missed the blog -they didn't get watered for about 2 months). I decided to supplement with some artificial ones.
The first store I went to I think is called 'Home Goods' - I can't remember. I just wandered in one day before going to Michael's - my intended destination next store. They have a clearance aisle that has wonderful pots and vases I like to buy.

Everything is reasonably priced and I like perusing the aisles. I make it sound like I do this a lot. I HATE to shop, and I have only been in this store, counting yesterday, twice. But when the urge hits to update my garden, and I have the energy (and the fun money) - off I go.

I got this little plant holder (and the plant) there. HOW CUTE IS HE?

This pretty little pot was $5.00. All the flowers from here on out (I believe - I bought plants at both stores and only took photos of part of my purchases) - the flowers are from Michael's and to my surprise and joy ... everything was on 50% off yesterday.
So - I bought the pot, four stems of flower bunches, pulled off the tags and dumped them in the pot. No foam, no arranging ... that is the extent of my talent!
Another shot which is lighter and I couldn't decide which to put in my blog. If these two photos look ... funky ... I put a filter on them in photoshop playing and liked the effect so on the blog they went rather than a more realistic photos.
My favorite find at the first store - this metal vase was $3.00 on the clearance aisle. I know, probably ugly as sin ... but I like it! The flowers, again, were purchased and plunked in the vase. You can't probably can't tell the shape of the vase - the opening (top) is a very narrow oval - making the flowers sit in a row like fashion rather than spreading out. It is also very shiny which does not show up in this photo.

This little beauty is an arrangement for a grave marker. It was in a special holder with a big spike on the bottom of it to put it in the ground. I liked it, so I pulled off the spike and plunked it in one of my own pots.

These are just filler, but I needed something artificial for my pots here since they don't handle water. And for $3.00, they fit the need nicely. I DID have to arrange the leaves on these ... still need a little work ...


And my 'fun' purchase - the word 'HOME' made out of twigs (OK, metal that looks like twigs). I have yet to figure out where to put it.

I am not sure how long my 'Wonder Woman' days will last. This is rather fun - acting like, feeling like, and just pretending to be a normal person. I hope it lasts long enough for me to finish my gardens - I have plants spread all over the place - including three that are four feet tall and need all their leaves arranged.

Actually - I hope this lasts through Gary's visit (I am a realist - I could hope for, say five years, but that just gets my hopes up to get them dashed later).


Here's to hoping .....

4 comments:

Vicki said...

I love your flower arrangements. They are GREAT!

Anonymous said...

With your set of Indestructible Bracelets, Spandex Shorts in An All American Motif,and Golden Lasso of Truth with the power to bend the will of men. You must be some site dashing from Craft Store to Craft store, fighting injustice, and saving the plant world from the perils of drought and lack of nutrients.

It's good to read of your new found spirit, here's to healthier days, and blue skies ahead. Take care, babe AJ

Lori Hurst said...

AJ - Wow - I had no idea what Wonder Womans super powers were ... and totally forgot about the spandex! Apparently I didn't watch much TV when I was younger either.

She can keep her powers (and the shorts ... *shudders*)... they don't seem all that useful in keeping me healthy and out of bed!

I just might have to come up with a new moniker ...

Anonymous said...

Alright give back the Spandex, they always ride up and who needs to be picking at their seat.

The bracelets of power only were good if people were shooting bullets or throwing spears at you, unless the trip to the Mall goes real bad it's total overkill.

But for G-d sake keep the Golden Lasso of Truth you have a twenty year old and believe me you're going to need all the frickin' help you can get! :-)