20 September 2010

Friends in Slow Places


Saturday afternoon found me in my car during Happy Hour at Sonic waiting for my favorite beverage: a Route 44 Diet Coke with Cherry and Lime, No Ice. There was a bit of a wait - so Charlie and I were conversing ... passing the time:

Lori: "Why is it that when I am in Australia, I don't drink any soda?"

Charlie:

Lori: "Is it that it isn't a Sonic drink? You know, I never thought about it, but I don't drink Diet Coke from the fridge at home either."

Charlie:

Lori: "So ... you think it is a Sonic thing?"

Charlie:

Lori: "Me too ..."

The cars were moving along during this scintillating conversation and soon we were at the window. I was handed my drink and was in the process of paying when a buddy of mine came to the window. I only know him from Sonic - but when you are there as often as I am ... well, you are bound to see the same face more than once.

He is über nice, and I believe a manager or something since he wears a different shirt than everyone else. We have had a few conversations. He has wondered about my month long disappearances. He likes my dog and knows her name. He knows my husband drives a white Ford F150 and that my son drives a blue Toyota Tacoma. This last part I thought was magic until he told me that there is not another person who orders a "Route 44 Diet Coke with Cherry and Lime, No Ice Please". He has even gone so far as to correct my sweet friend when she had ordered me one with ice ... per my instructions! Twice she has ordered me a drink with ice and twice he has told her that no, I don't get ice in my drink and promptly changed the order.

So ... über nice guy comes to the window and hands me a pile of receipts. He says he has been saving them for me. I thought he was joking and cleaning up the floor or something when he explained they were unclaimed receipts with a coupon for a free Route 44 drink. I thanked him profusely.

So ... this morning, again waiting in line, again at the window, again being handed my drink. I give the girl at the window one of the coupons.

Super Nice Sonic Girl: "You want some more of these?"

Lori: "Um, is this a trick question?"

Super Nice Sonic Girl: "No! We save them when people don't want their receipt."

Lori: "Sure! Thanks!"

Super Nice Sonic Girl: "Here." And she hands me a pile:

I have to call a number and take a survey to activate the coupon - but, hey: Free Sonic drinks for a few weeks!

What's not to like?

8 comments:

Alisha said...

How is it that you get these uber nice people & I get slow rude teenagers? What time of day do you go? (I won't tell anyone)

Lori Hurst said...

You name a time, I have probably been there! I vary when I go ... my experiences are probably just based on the quantity of visits - not necessarily all of them have been quality visits.

Cherri said...

And our Sonic just closed down - they needed a customer like you! (By the way, I thought Charlie's comments to be especially profound, didn't you?)

Lori Hurst said...

Yes, Cherri - I find Charlie is wise beyond her years ...

Laura said...

Ah, Sonic, how I miss you! Do they ever toss Charlie a few tater tots? KFC once gave me a chicken nugget (back when they had those) for my dog. That's customer service!

Lori Hurst said...

They used to give her a doggie biscuit, but I think that was just at the start. I don't remember Charlie trying to sit in my lap lately... and when I go to Walgreens she does.

She is creepy smart and knows that at Walgreens she gets something every time (I guess she wants to make sure she is seen)so he tries to sit in my lap - but I noticed that she doesn't do that anymore when we go to Sonic.

She still gets super excited about going when it is time to though, so I guess hanging her head out the window is good enough for her!

Vicki said...

Such a cute post. I always thought Charlie was the strong, silent type.

Jennifer said...

This post is so utterly HAPPY! I love you and your little (big) dog, too!