25 May 2009

To My Uncle, Jon

You used to be just a photo in a uniform on Grandmas TV. It sat there, with a folded flag for all the time I remember visiting. I was young when you died, but not that young - I remember the funeral.

I always remembered you as you were in that photo - in uniform, serious and looking very, very young. Then one day my dad send a CD full of family photos. There you were as a baby, with friends, growing up, and with your new wife. Suddenly you became more real to me, and you were smiling! I felt like I knew you a little bit more. You were more than just a photo beside a flag and the loss seemed greater.






Now, when I picture you, you are smiling.

I just wanted to let you know that on this Memorial Day, I was thinking about you.


2 comments:

A.J. said...

Lori,
Like you, I have a younger brother who has served our country. He is now retired from the U.S. Navy, and finds himself fighting a greater battle, trying to get his wife through a tough bought with cancer. I take a moment with you to remember those who have given a lot to this country, all to often with their lives. So here's to little brother's like ours. Thank You All.

Lori Hurst said...

Thanks, A.J. - here's to little brothers. And I hope your brothers new battle goes well.