21 May 2009

Prom Night

When did going to the prom get so complicated? Maybe it is looking at it from a parents perspective rather than just going, but things are getting out of control.



The Suit.



Ryan didn't want to wear a tux, so we had to go suit shopping. When did they get so expensive? And it has to match:



The Dress.



A beautiful green, but how to match? We only have photos - taken by a cell phone with the shades of each photo just a little different than the last photo. So, Alassandra (Ryan's date) and her mother did a very kind thing and bought a couple of ties that go with it. We now have a starting point ... and need to buy ...



The Shirt.



Not a big problem, just have to go out again. Maybe when we pick up the suit (it is being altered). Now this ensemble needs to match:



The Flowers.



Ryan ordered flowers, but decided that they were too expensive and are coming over to the house Friday to make a corsage and boutineer - probably involving a trip or two to the store for supplies and exceeding the initial price of the flowers. Since none of us are florists, I don't know what the outcome here is going to be, but it should be interesting.



Well, now that we're dressed nice, we need to show up in style - so they are stealing:



My Car.



This is a good thing since Ryan is going to clean it like it has never been cleaned before. So, suited up, flowered and with wheels, this brings us to:



The Night.



And how to capture the magic of the moment?



Photos.



The group (there are 12 of them) wanted to have photos taken on a curving staircase, and since we have a curving staircase the house got suckered into this night also. Sounds good, I will get to see every one in their finest, no biggie .... until Ryan tells me just a few days ago that professional photographers and parents are also coming. Oh, goody.

Now the goal is to ask one of the photographers if he would leave up his lights since I don't have any. They are not that pricy, but I don't want to store them - so I will beg, and hopefully take some decent photos.

Off to the dance ... and after?

Well, after they were coming over here and I was so proud of myself for keeping track of the group, but a vote was taken and a 'parents home' was voted down. Apparently they feel they couldn't act like 'themselves' in a home. Damn skippy - I want them acting like proper gentlemen and women! Where they are going is a bit hazy right now in my mind - Ryan says a restaurant, but what kind of restaurant is open in the wee hours of the morning? Not a decent restaurant, I don't think. Just one more thing to worry about.

I will be ever so happy when this is over ...

10 comments:

Cherri said...

Being empty nesters looks better and better - no more proms, no "day" dates that are so complex and try to be so impressive, and for some reason, my kids in college were so much more laid back - used stuff from previous years, because "it's all new to these guys".

Laura said...

I feel your pain!

Jefrey went the tux route, which I think might have been easier. And Jennifer gave us a nice big swatch from her dress so we could match the vest and tie. Very nice.

There is only four in their group. Jeffrey is driving and he is taking - wait for it - my mini-van! How cool is that?!? The A/C in his car doesn't work well, so I told him he couldn't use it - too much danger of hair ruination. The back seat of Robert's car is not really easy to get into. So that leaves my car. Lucky kids!

As for photos, Jeffrey knows I am going where ever the photos are being taken. He's resigned. There will probably be other parents there too.

I'm glad Jeffrey is going to Prom, but you are right - it is a lot of trouble!

Jennifer said...

You left out the cost of the tickets. The price of sitting at a round table covered in rented tablecloths with cheesy centerpieces and not dancing.

Laura said...

Don't even talk about the price of the tickets! $150.00 per couple!! How crazy is that?

Cherri said...

Holy cow - move to Idaho - prom tickets are a max of $20

Lori Hurst said...

And why downtown? Why some swanky hotel? What is wrong with the gym? Like I want Ryan driving downtown ... in my car!

Shel said...

Oh, yes do not get me started on my rant... I have already spent so much on prom and we aren't done yet, I don't remember it being like this when I went. Em is telling me she needs "her nails, eyebrows, hair and make-up done" uh, what???? After I bought a dress, shoes special bra and we (Em and Evan) are possibly paying for a limo (they are making sure there is room for them). Of course we were a couple of days late buying the prom tickets and ours were $180, ugh (now I do have to say her date bought the tickets :) Oh and we just remembered we need to get the boutineer, whoops. And of course there is still dinner. Prom is outrageously expensive for everyone involved, crazy. I do want to see your pictures, though...

Kristie said...

You guys are making me want to run away and hide before I get to this point! Maybe I'll just move to Idaho. :)

Court said...

Is there such a thing as prom elopement?

Rhonda said...

$150 for Prom tickets!? Holy cow! I guess I can be grateful for the Prom and after-Prom fundraisers they have here that off-set the costs. My boys paid $50 per couple for Prom and $40 per couple for after-Prom. Mean mom that I am, they paid for everything themselves. They did have a blast though.