12 May 2009

The Car

Gary bought a brand spanking new Toyota Rav4 right before I got here. It is cute and white (my favorite car colour) and just happens to have the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car.

As I went to get in the car at the airport - partly exhausted, partly delusional, I got in while Gary was putting the cart away and found myself behind the steering wheel. I remember thinking 'Cool' how did this get here - then quickly jumping out thinking Gary would make me drive.

Well, driving did come on Sunday - on our way to the lighthouse one more time and to the city it is in - Byron Bay - an old hippie town, it was actually a wonderful city with the coolest junk. (On a side note: this is were Gary bought my jewelry and I sort of, kind of, well - spent $400.00 in the store he bought my stuff in. In my defence it was Mothers Day - we were totally butchering the Sabbath, and my birthday is in just a bit.)

I drove from about 1/2 hour out right up to the light house parking, and there is no delicate way to put this, but I scared the hell out of Gary! Apparently when you drive on the wrong side of the road, you tend to hug the side and Gary kept telling me I was going to hit the parked cars (I don't really believe that is true, I think it is an optical illusion) but had him screaming pretty emphatically a few times! It was no cake walk - trying to remember to stay on the left side of the road - turn a corner and remember what lane you are supposed to be in. I am impressed we are not dead.

I am going to have to drive again ... but I am going to save it up for next time ...

On a positive note - Gary showed me where the car keys were today - that is a good step in my budding relationship with Aussie drivers ...

6 comments:

Alisha said...

Good job! I always thought I could drive in England, no prob, until I got there & realized I would probably kill myself & whoever was in the car with me. I happily remained the passenger!

Val and Marceil said...

Glad to see you venturing out to see and do exciting things (like shopping). Do you need to obtain an international drivers license or does Australia honor your USA driver's license? The lighthouse looks like a fine place to visit. From the looks of the sign, Gary must consider himslef an Easterner now. Dad

Liz said...

I too, am impressed you are not dead!

Cherri said...

Wow - I am directionally challenged enough as it is - if you tell me to turn right I will often turn left, etc. Now change which side of the road to drive on, and I am an accident waiting to happen! I'm glad you survived.

Lori Hurst said...

It is amazing that we are not road kill.

Gary has an Australian Drivers License - I don't think he had to drive or anything - he just asked for it and apparently they gave him one. Go figure.

Gary keeps talking about when I am back and drivng more and I really would be content to be a passenger for ... well forever...

Kristie said...

I have no doubt that if I had to do that, I would be dead and probably at least injured someone else. I don't know my left from my right, so I can't even imagine having to turn and staying in the wrong lane! Good luck getting used to it. I hope when you come back to the US you can rememeber where you are supposed to be on the road.