20 June 2010

To The Father of My Children ...

To the best father I know.

I still remember heading in for my 'shift' at the intensive care unit at Primary Childrens Hospital and seeing a photo of you bathing Jessie taped to her crib/unit thingy. Asking the nurses about it, they said they had never ... NEVER ... seen a father in intensive care bathe their child - ever ... so they snapped a photo - because it was so unique and wonderful.

Unique and Wonderful. Two words that describe you as a father - they fit so well.


I watch you with Jessie - the patience, the fun, the love and time you give her and I feel that I come up short - something I need to work on.

I watch you with Ryan - teaching him the things your father taught you, being his friend, being an example of what a father, a husband, a man should be. The unconditional love - and how he respects you - and again feel I come up short.

You have taught me so many things about parenting that I couldn't list them all. I flounder, flail, yell, freak out ... and you? You are rock steady, calm, funny, righteous, firm, unwaivering and fun. Never forget fun!

Thank you for being such a good father to our children. Doing the things that needed to be done when you didn't have the time, but did them anyway. Doing my job when I was too sick or incompetent to do so.

You have built memories that will last with Ryan and Jessie forever. A rare gift. Better than anything that comes out of a box.


You are my rock, my therapist, my friend, my teacher, my example. I couldn't have wished for a better husband ... but more than that - there is no one on the planet that is a better father than you are. For that I am eternally grateful. How did I get so lucky?


Love you ...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lori,
I'm not sure who is lucky to have who. It takes a special person to endure time away from someone they love, many women I know would not be able to maintain that kind of relationship. Don't sell yourself short, a good marriage takes two people committed to each other. I don't know either of you much at all, but I do know you are both special people. Gary Happy Fathers Day. Lori, you can take credit for some of that. AJ

Rhonda said...

Loved this! If his parenting is anything like his dedication to being a Scout Master than you all are blessed indeed.

Cherri said...

sniff sniff! You should have warned me that I would need a kleenex! Gary is a great dad, and Ash and I laughed the other day about his motivational techniques to get her up a mountain, one m&m at a time!

Lori A said...

Thanks for sharing! I love all the old pictures!