26 June 2010

And the award for the Most Supportive Sister goes to ...

.
.
.
.
So ... about a month ago I get a call on my Blackberry that I don't recognize.



"Hey stupid freak!"


I smile and ask my brother what he wants.


He starts to tell me that he is going to be flying the helicopter that he flew rescuing Marcus Luttrell in a very impressive tale that if you are interested and have not read - is here and landing it in Minute Maid park for some sort of event.

"Very Cool! When?" I ask. He says June 26th, that his other line is ringing in a flash ... he is gone.
I try to get info - not an easy task when I was tending to remember things like this at three in the morning - thus using Marcus Luttrells facebook page which was giving up few details. Remembered to ask my mom about it at the family reunion (Jeff was family reunioning with his wifes family this year). She mentiond that they were not going to let him land in Minute Maid park anymore - safety or some such nonsense - thus in the parking lot.


Hmmm - not sounding all that fun - but what the heck - it was at 7:00 on a Saturday evening - had nothing else scheduled ...

Friday evening get a text message: "Am flying over Richmond right now!"

Wha? Who? OH! Jeff .... in a helicopter - ran outside and stood still.


Texted him back "I CAN HEAR YOU!!! Call me later with details"


Later he calls and says I should get there by 2:00 if I was coming at all and that it might be a bit underwhelming ... landing in a parking lot and all. I told him two was a bit of a problem since I had Jessie. He told me no biggie and he would send me photos (the stuff posted I just stole). He said he probably wouldn't be able to get me anywhere to be able to see him ...

So - got on my Facebook this evening and find my bro and Marcus:

Even a YouTube video of the landing - which, is a bit underwhelming: (although ... is Marcus getting dust in his eyes or is he getting emotional?)




So - didn't go. (bad, bad Lori) Hope he has a good time!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lori,
life rarely gives us a moment when we can step up and do something above and beyond the call. It's very apparent by your post that he is a special person. Thank you for reminding us what type of men and women we have in our armed forces. AJ