25 January 2010

This and That


I am bored. Well, not really - I am avoiding. I have to bathe Charlie and I really, really don't want to. This is a Gary / Ryan job. The fact that I have avoided it thus far says something ...

So I am blogging about ... well, stuff /crap / whatever.

I am missing one of my cameras:
My Canon PowerShot I bought last October developed a fiber or a piece of something in it while I was in Australia. It shows up in every blinking photo and I have to PhotoShop it out. Since it is a point and shoot, it's not like I can take the lens off - thus - I DID NOT DO IT. I explained this to Canon and they said to send it in and they would take care of it. So I mailed it off today. It is a good little guy - I'm going to miss him and don't know how long he will be gone.
***************

I was loading photos for this post when my scrolling news said 'cane toads' on the end, so naturally I had to read the article. It said that they were a nuisance and they have to kill tons of them a year - thus - I am actually doing them a service taking a few off their hands ...

The article was about just how to go about killing them. The suspected that clubbing them with golf clubs as they have been doing for years is not the most humane way so they came up with putting them in a bag of carbon dioxide.



They are not quite convinced that this is better in terms of 'froggy suffering' so they are back to clubbing. Yeah - CLUBBING!! I guess one swift hit might be better than suffocating ...

And then, of course I have been playing in PhotoShop with a few new techniques I learned.

So - I took a trip back in time:





Then discovered a non-destructive way to lighten my photos. WHOOO HOOO!!! My earlier attempts generally left a bit of grain and it bothered me.

Like this photo from 'Vor Frue Kirken' (Church of our Lady) in Copenhagen. I noticed it when I was scavenging photos for my little silly montage up there. Got it from this:
To this with no degradation:


OK, OK, I am going *grumbles*. "Here Charlie ..."

5 comments:

Cherri said...

Shouldn't she have had a bath BEFORE her birthday party? Think of the senses of the guests to her party!

A.J. said...

Lori, maybe you could use one of those cane toad C02 bags on that pesky anonymous spammer that keeps plaguing the fertile fields of your blog! Although, a nine iron might feel much more gratifying.

The sepia (probably the wrong term) affect that you are using in the Travel Log photos is kinda cool!
Talk to you later.

Unknown said...

Love what you did with the pictures from the different cities with PS.
Have you seen the movie/read the book about the cane toads? Made quite an impression on me that I still remember it years later, I've just never heard anyone mention them before now.

Lori Hurst said...

AJ - yes there are a few Anonymous'es stalking me. Annoying - but I figured out how to delete them and you can't even see them. Almost got out of bed this morning to delete the one - but thought 'who's going to see it within the hour?' ... now I know!

Sarah - I haven't seen the movie or read the book, and you might have started reading my blog after I got the frogs but I have real cane toads - tanned - thus leather with googly eyes - they are great!

In the article which I finished after writing this blog it said that they introduced the frog into Queensland (that is where Brisbane is) to control the population of crickets or something that was eating thier crops. The grew out of control and eat everything, thier skin is venomous and the are destroying the habitats of many, many creatures - thats how well it goes when man decides to dick with the environment. Is that what the book was about? I would be interested in reading it.

Also - I will try to avoid the holiday in Queensland: "Cane Day Out' where everyone is on holiday and goes and catches these huge frogs ... and kills them! Eeek!

Kacie said...

How did you do that to your picture at the end! I would love to know because that is amazing!