07 January 2010

Bye Bye RyRy


OK, I haven't called him RyRy since he was probably five and might get in a bit of trouble over that ...

Ryan is still sleeping - a good thing since he has a 'day that never ends' coming up here in about and hour and a half. He will get on a plane in Australia and lift off at noon on Friday and land in LA at seven in the morning on Friday - five hours into the past. He says that dicks with his head. I'm generally too tired to care ...

I am having huge guilt issues that I decided to stay here a week longer and sent my youngun out into the great chaos that is "International Air Travel" all by his lonesome. I have walked him through all the steps and he is an adult so things should be fine. But he has that tight connection in LA that I hate and I really hope things go well for him.

All in all the trip went well. I could tell at Christmas that he could take it or leave it coming over leaning heavily on the 'leave it' part, but the ticket was purchased. He looked a little trapped.


He has been a good sport on this trip. While he would just love to have stayed in his room and surfed, skyped with his girlfriend and listen to music on his Mac, every time we were headed out or off to eat, he would immediately (... well, sort of ....) jump up and come along. Knowing all the while he would have rather stayed in his self-made lair.



We had fun, laughed a lot and had a relaxing time. In past years we tried to get a vacation in sans Jessie with just Ryan because there is about a 180 degree difference between vacations with Jessie and vacations without Jessie - so my Mom, being the saint that she is, would come about every year and tend Jessie while we took Ryan somewhere. Some times this worked and some times it wasn't so hot - but this time has been a success.

This, I believe is mainly due to the fact that my little boy has grown up. He has become a very kind, caring, polite young man and I am very proud of him. He could have been a stick in the mud and he wasn't - even though I could tell sometimes he didn't want to do something - he did it - without complaint. That shows a maturity that I really have not seen much of till now.


Thanks Ryan! We had a blast - I hope this was fun for you. Since we don't see you much any more - this was the best Christmas present Santa could have given me. Time with my much loved son.

Good luck, get some sleep and at every turn:

CALL ME!!!

5 comments:

Alisha said...

Ryan is a smart kid-- he'll be fine on the flight! You raised a good one!

Cherri said...

Unbelievable that they grow up right before your eyes, and go from teenager to adult along the way. I'm glad you had a great trip. It looked like fun, but I can see where arriving before the time you left might leave you a little bewildered.

Unknown said...

I know you're not intending to, but as I read it I was seeing the advice in it for me, whose oldest is 10. Thanks! Perspective is a good thing.
And if you buy a ticket again and he's not mature enough to accept it I know someone who is!

Vicki said...

Ryan is just a neat guy! I always think about the sacrifice you and Gary have made in caring for a handicapped child, but I don't always think about Ryan's sacrifice. I'm sure you feel the benefits of having Jessie in your life far outweigh the sacrifice, but Ryan is pretty young to have reached that same decision. And I'm sure there wre days... What a wonderful young man to be so giving and loving. My hat is off to you all.

Jennifer said...

He sure doesn't look hesitant with all those birdies flapping around on him.