09 January 2010

Idiots


So ... what do two blistering, peeling lobsters do on a Saturday? Yea, you guessed it - GO TO THE BEACH!

There was a bit of method in our madness. OK, not really - we were just in the neighborhood.

Gary, being a scuba diver, has staunchly ignored the fact that the Great Barrier Reef is just off the coast here in Brisbane with some of the finest diving anywhere in the world. He decided on Friday that he would take a refresher course that goes reef diving, then wreck diving and then he would head to Cairns and go diving for fun. As he puts it: "It will fill some of my Saturdays".

So, the first step in this process is picking up the book and doing the course work. The book is at the dive shop, which happens to be in Mooloolaba (just rolls off your tongue, doesn't it: moo-loo-la-ba) which happens to be the beach we fried ourselves at last week.

So - off we go to pick up some bike supplies at the bike shop, then on to the scuba shop then one hour at the beach. Gary is peeling more than I right now (I am just behind in the process) and is itching and he was hoping the salt water and a little sun would help. I think he is stone cold crazy.

We weren't ENTIRELY idiots. We slathered ourselves with sunscreen this time. But sun on a burn? Doesn't feel so hot!

It was a beautiful day, though and we enjoyed our brief stay on the beach.

I had a unique way of getting through the one hour, 'required by Gary' beach visit. Here is what Gary called my "Good Sport Shot" since I didn't want to go bake in the sun (call ME crazy ...). My solution? Take a beach towel and cover my entire body from head to foot. I was up all night on the phone with Ryan as he progressed from LAX to Houston Intercontinental to home so I was tired and happy to just veg.

So my 'Good Sport Trademark Toe Shot With a Twist':


It did seem a little weird to be roasting on the beach (at one point Gary looked down at his leg which was covered with water blisters and said: "My skin is boiling" ... this would be the 'idiot' part of the day ...) ... to be roasting on the beach and be worrying about my pipes freezing in the unusually cold (read: hard freeze) weather at my house.


Mr. Seagull thought that bundling up on a beautiful, sunny day required more scrutiny:


Came home, showered, and took a nap to add a few hours to my 2 hours of sleep I got Friday night. Woke up to find the living room abandoned. OK, Gary said he was going grocery shopping and off to look for batteries for his dive computer. Cool.Except for the snoring coming from his room ... Hmmm ...Guess we are down for the night!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Man, those are some fantastic pictures! You got a laugh out of me with the (not)toe shot. Perfect!

Jennifer said...

Best toe shot award.