10 January 2010

Frangipani Flowers


Woke up to a lovely Sunday here in Brisbane. THEN Ryan called, very stressed that one of our pipes outside had broken and what was he supposed to do? I handed the phone to Gary.

Luckily our neighbor came out and showed Ryan how to shut it off and verified that it was only our sprinkler system that was affected thus, Ryan could forget about it and we would take care of it either when I get home or wait until Gary comes in February.

Headed off to church. Was busy taking photos of flowers outside (after the meeting):

I suddenly saw a flower laying on the ground, well, three, actually. I told Gary they looked exactly like frangipani flowers. I had some 'to die for' frangipani oil I got on a cruise and knew what frangipani flowers smelled like - or at least what the oil smelled like. I sniffed the flower and exclaimed "It is a frangipani flower!". Why I thought this was so unusual I have no idea, it's as if I was aware of the flower, but knew it didn't grow on this planet.

So ... I started looking around on the ground for the plant - wanting to see what it looked like. I needed to lift my head a bit:


The frangipani flower was a tree! Growing right there on the church grounds. It is a very pretty tree and smells wonderful:





Went home, had a wonderful home cooked meal out on the patio watching the boats go by and then helped Gary with his Institute lesson. We figured out how to edit video and insert into a Power Point presentation.

To celebrate a the good work, we are headed to Mount Nebo to take pictures at sunset.

4 comments:

Laura said...

Glad it was just your sprinkler system. I was thinking that might be what it was, since they have been blowing like geysers all over the area!

Rhonda said...

I guess you don't usually have to winterize your sprinklers by blowing them out each winter. A "fun" chore we get to do each Nov.

Jennifer said...

Frangipani!! Love it. Very pretty blossoms. So, what's the weather like there when we are freezing pipes over here? No, nevermind. I'll get angry.

Lori Hurst said...

Jennifer - think weather in San Diego in the summer - not broiling, but hot. Messes with your head jumping back and forth.