02 July 2011

Wood Wood Wood!!!


Just because my life tilted sideways and I fell off into the deep end ... life went on at the Hurst household ...

Gary has been diligently trying to put himself out of work - the woodworking type work. We have very few places for new projects to fit!

While I was 'away' from Blogger Land he finished a set of shelves and decided he wanted to try making chairs. And if one chair is going to be made, why not make two ... I mean who couldn't use another chair or two?

He is doing something unusual this time and working strictly off a set of drawings:


We are not making rocking chairs, just plain ones. We have already acquired the fake pigskin leather for the padded seat - black, of course.

Here is a cool curvy piece for the back - to make it all comfy and such:

And assembling what he has done so far:

Here is the back all put together:

Now, on to the finished product. First, the offending 'organ' (that would be the ADORABLE FOLD DOWN DESK that Gary has decided looks like an organ) had to be removed from the Guest Room / Ryan's Room:
And the shelves moved in. Alas, I have no photos where they were pristine and not defiled by ... crap.



And just because he let me snap a photo:


**********ADDENDUM**********

Gary is too quick for me and I realized that since I downloaded the plans for the chair to my computer, I didn't need to use a photo of a sketch ...

So he is getting ready to wrap it up for the night, but see how much farther along he is in just a few hours.


THIS IS MY PROBLEM!!!

He goes too fast!

Soon ... we will be out of space ... I keep telling him ...


2 comments:

Vicki said...

What wonderful family heirlooms. I'm jealous!

Laura said...

Since I know how therapeutic Gary's woodworking is to him, I will make the ultimate sacrifice and offer to take anything he makes that you don't have room for. Really, I'm willing to do that for you guys!