12 July 2011

Covetous ...


Gary's two year contract with our wireless phone company has been up for a while, which means he could get a new phone at a discounted rate (if he, again, signed a two year plan. We have been happy with them so this does not bother us). He really hasn't said much about it, until last week when he seemed to get a bee in his bonnet about a new phone ...

OH.


Wait ...


Actually, I believe I remember now that we were having a conversation about how high our wireless phone bill was and wondered if there were new plans that had come out since we got home from Norway that would fit us better. This led to me mentioning that I had been meaning to call for AGES about this very thing, which led to me promising to call and wrote it on a post-it and stuck it on one of my computer screens (a GUARANTEE that it would happen) which led to me actually calling, which led to a discussion with the Customer Service Lady that the wireless phone company had changed their billing rates and plans THAT EXACT DAY that I was calling. Here was the kicker - they were completely dropping their unlimited data plan - EXACTLY what I wanted to add for Gary. I was bummed to say the least. She told me that my unlimited plan would stay in place, just no new ones would be set up.

*Sigh*


Then the (wonderful)Customer Service Lady said that sometimes the old plans floated around in the computer ether for a few days when the new plans started up and you could still get them. She said she would try to set him up with the old unlimited data plan (by the way the old unlimited plan was CHEAPER than their new, smallest limited plan - naughty, naughty wireless phone company ...)and whaddaya know?

IT WORKED!

Hence - the immediate need for a phone that he could easily surf the web, download videos, peruse You Tube - all that 'data hogging' stuff so he could celebrate that he was on an unlimited data plan. So that evening I got back on the phone and ordered him a 32Gig iPhone - because apparently he was paralyzed from the neck up ...

I got a wee tingle of jealousy while ordering it and asked the new Customer Service Dude how much it would cost me to get one right then instead of waiting until February of next year when my two year plan was up? Since it was about three times the cost of the one Gary was getting, I decided I could wait. I really don't mind my BlackBerry at all.

It came today and he has been playing with it for the last two hours ...

- Installing his apps.

- Getting the scriptures put on there since that was a main reason he wanted to get it - no more lugging his iPad to church.

- Watching Netflix movies.

- Playing music.

And, well, YEAH!


I WANT ONE!!!


It is way cool! I believe he will be very happy with it.

I wanted to take some photos of it for this post, and was OK with the main screen and the cute little apps icons, but Gary insisted on grabbing a photo. He seemed to be on an Australian Theme (or the only photos he has on his 'iThings' are Australian photos - which is probably the answer):



I shall have the last laugh, though, and even Gary knows it.

He got an iPad before me and I coveted it enormously!

RIGHT UNTIL THE UPGRADE CAME OUT.

And THEN I got a cooler, faster, slimmer, lighter iPad! See how this works? I am not necessarily the first person in the house to go out and grab the latest and greatest technology ...

So, I will hunker down, and wait until February and by then they will surely come out with something spectacular!

It's a good plan ...

7 comments:

Vicki said...

How fun!

I just got a new Ipad that I've barely unwrapped. I'm expecting heavy duty Ipad lessons in Island Park!

Court said...

You are hilarious. :)

Jennifer said...

ditto on Court

Cherri said...

And may the race to the coolest toy be on!

Alisha said...

That IS a good plan!

Which carrier is this???

Lori Hurst said...

Alisha - we use Verizon Wireless. We have been happy with them.

Cherri said...

I just want on the list for hand-me-downs!