05 July 2011

A Chair is a Chair is a Chair ...


Well, Gary was in Woodworking Heaven all day today. Comfortably ensconced in his air-conditioned shop (ie our garage ...) he made a ton of progress. He will soon be done with the chairs and on to ... something - we will figure it out, or we will take an axe to something old and make us some kindling ...

So - I took photos - BIG surprise. And, I know -

A chair is a chair is a chair ...

... but I wanted to play with some photos - thus 5 photos of the same two chairs.

Exciting, yes?






We are almost on to the Sewing Adventure of the chair making process. My old Viking sewing machine that I had since before I was married would have stitched through this fake pigskin leather stuff without a hitch. In fact, I am POSITIVE since one day during college, I came home to find that Gary had set up my machine and was sewing some VERY thick canvas lengths together. He needed to line the bottom of a water pond he was making. He worked for ... some group up at the university and he did stuff with ponds, lakes and the likes ... apparently I did not pay much attention. I worked in a Physics lab which was in the Engineering building, and I saw him haunting the halls every now and then - so it really was something for I believe the Civil Engineering Department but what it was eludes me now. Except for the part where he was making a ginormous pond down on 'The Island' and had to line the bottom with very thick canvas. Thus my youngish Viking machine was broken in very quickly and did a superb job.

Ah ... sorry about the digression ...

But, alas, the front door to where the bobbin lived was plastic and rotted while in storage while we were in Norway and it was so old, I could not get a replacement part, and the bobbin would not stay in without the door. Sad, I miss my Viking sewing machine.

But ... since I rarely sew anymore, I was not going to put out the big bucks for a Viking and got a cheaper brand that does the embroidery stuff. It works great for the embroidery stuff and regular sewing, but we have so far not abused it with thick cloth. I have sort of grown fond of the little guy ... I hope we don't ruin it.

This got sort of long ...


... blogging about nothing.


MY SPECIALTY!

It was going to be a two part post - but since it is so long, the rest of my catch up photos will have to wait a day.

So tomorrow: The Chocolate Bar!!!

Night All ....

2 comments:

Vicki said...

Okay so what kind of sewing machine did you buy? Michelle is thinking of one, but big buck for a Viking are not in the works...

Jennifer said...

I am very interested in The Chocolate Bar. I will now go buy myself one to tide me over.