21 July 2011

I Swallowed a Bug ...


Sort of a rocky start here in Utah.

Got on the plane SO PROUD OF MYSELF for remembering that-thing-that-I-knew-I-was-forgetting-but-couldn't-remember-what-it-was before I left the house!

MY MEDICINE!!!


Dudes! You DO NOT want to see me without my morphine-ER (extended release), my morphine-IR (immediate release) and my muscle relaxants.

IT IS NOT A PRETTY SIGHT ...

Why, why, why do I forget the WEIRDEST things when I go on trips ... like my underwear on this very trip last year (Peterson Family Reunion in Oregon)?


Simple.



I blame Gary.



No, not just for fun, but he has cursed my packing skills. Seriously! Every time we go somewhere and I am worried that I forgot something, Gary says, AND I QUOTE:

"You're OK, you can always buy what ever you forgot when we get there."


That's when some evil troll that lives in my subconscious goes to work. Maniacally rubbing his hands together (yeah, it's a guy - I DON'T KNOW WHY ... his name is Harry) and chuckling to himself and goes about proving to Gary that this is NOT TRUE!


If there is something that I need on a trip THAT I CANNOT BUY WHEN WE GET THERE - it is a guarantee - THAT'S the thing I left home.


I really ought to make up generic packing list on my computer and put on it all the things that I can't 'just buy when we get there' and use that as a starting list every time I travel.


But - NO WORRIES!!! My meds are safely ensconced in my backpack even as I type, so I am good. Dodged that one!

Things were going smoothly - got on the plane and started playing with some photo editing / altering apps that I had, plus a few (OK a dozen) that I downloaded last night at two in the morning knowing that I would want to play with my iPad on the flight. I had previously downloaded all 1500'ish photos from Adobe Lightroom that I had marked 'favorite' so that my iPad now has every favorite photo that I own. That and a grundle of apps was just heaven for three hours!

All of a sudden we hit the ground ... a bit hard ... and when you don't know that you are actually that close to landing because you are in an aisle seat, it is rather jolting! Got out and I waited for the bags while Gary went to get the rental car.

And as I waited, and waited and waited ... I started wondering ... did we bring the GPS system? It was in Gary's truck and he didn't get it out after we parked in long term parking. Hmmmm - I was hoping that he had packed it the night before when he had packed his bags, but it was not looking good.

And who wants to think, plan and have to read maps when that lovely British lady will just tell you what to do?

Gary finally got through his line (weird - we are talking after 11:00 pm - but still so busy) and rented the car and things were not looking good on my end, when all of a sudden, there was an announcement that there was a baggage carousel change for the passengers arriving from Houston. Instead of being on carousel 3 as was posted, they said it had been changed to carousel 1.

I headed over there and, well - lets just say it was not a CHANGE per se, it was a mistake! There were bags EVERYWHERE! Piled on the sides, three deep on the carousel itself and that is where they sat, with the carousel stopped because the suitcases coming off had no where to go (because we were all looking for them somewhere else ...) so it jammed. So someone put them on the wrong carousel and it took them quite some time to figure it out and let us know ... change indeed!

I finally located both our bags in a pile of piled up bags, unburied them, and headed outside to link up with Gary.

It was going to be easier for me to go to him with the rental car, than for him to circle the airport to get me, so I headed off ... in the wrong direction. I figured it out after a bit, turned around and told Gary I was coming, but that it would take a bit longer. (He could not come get me without leaving the airport first since they were one way roads) He said he thought he could cross the road and be right at the very end of 'Passenger Pickup' without circling, so there he was.

I was huffing and puffing my way down to him when, suddenly he was right by me grabbing one of my bags! We headed off. I was breathing heavily through my mouth when suddenly, a huge bug got sucked in and smashed against the back of my throat! Seriously NOT A GOOD FEELING. Not at all.

I was freaking out, gagging, coughing and spitting on the sidewalk trying to dislodge it as Gary looked on thinking I was possessed. I even tried to dig it out with my finger, but no go - and so I swallowed it!


Ugh!



We continue to trudge along ... come to think of it, I believe Gary was a bit ahead of me. I think it had something to do with trying to not be associated with the lady spitting on the sidewalk somehow ...

When he noticed that security was at his rental car! Ooops! He sped up and met them there a little after some stern announcement about the owners of the xxx yyy zzz car (I am so beat, I don't know what make of car, what model of car or even what color of car we rented) please come move your car or it will be towed. Lovely. We were now in trouble with airport security.

Security was gone by the time I made it to the car, and we headed off with Gary HATING, LOATHING and downright DESPISING the car. He didn't fit, our seat belts, for some reason are twisted. Do you know how freaking annoying it is to have your seat belt twisted? OK, do you know how freaking annoying it is to have your seat belt twisted at 11:30 at night after a trip to the airport, a flight, a wait for bags and a security close call? Seriously was bugging us.

Got the car fitting Gary a little better as we drove the 20 minutes to our hotel, checked in, with Gary purchasing unlimited Internet access for an additional $3.00, so the first thing I did was set up my little station:

Gary was on his iPhone looking for GPS devices (mine is old, and I loathe it since it does not have a QWERTY keyboard so I cannot ever find the blinking letter I want - thus the PERFECT opportunity for a new one). His screen was too small to see properly while shopping, so I shared:


Now here it is ... 2:30am Houston time ... THANK HEAVENS! That only makes it 1:30am in my time zone! Not too bad for me and my bed time ...

Tomorrow we are getting up bright and early? Not sure, but I better wrap up my rambling and get to bed ... We head straight up I15 for some time. With the traditional stop at Smith & Edwards and a not-so-traditional stop at either Best Buy or Wal-Mart for the GPS device Gary wants to get. So, NEXT time I blog I will be at our cabin in Island Park, I lied in my last post ...


So ... other than:


- SWALLOWING A BUG


- Having to listen to my husband sing the song:

There was an old lady who swallowed a fly
I don't know why she swallowed a fly -
I think she'll die!

(with a few verses he made up on his own ...)

Over, and over, and OVER!

and

- forgetting our GPS device

Things aren't so bad!


And contrary to Gary's song,


I'm pretty sure I am going to live through the night ...

3 comments:

Cherri said...

Ow! You made me laugh - we just watched 17 Miracles (about handcard company) and it made me think about Levi Savage and when he swallowed a bug (or did it go up his nose?)

Glad you survived and remembered the thing that must be remembered! It will be good to see you all on Sunday!

Jennifer said...

I hate swallowing a bug! And you are not an old lady - Gary should have changed that line.

Vicki said...

Maybe its hereditary. I say the same thing as Gary. As long as I have my contacts and glasses, I can buy anything else I need. I think a printed list is the perfect solution.

Traveling is a pain. Glad you made it.